Snow Plowing Forum banner

Some questions on plow options.

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BUFF 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying my first plow and have a couple of questions. First though I'll explain my specific applications. Sorry if this is a little long but I figure it will be easier all around if you know the situation up front.

I’m planning to put the plow on a 3/4 ton truck. It has the factory plow prep package and dual alternators, so I assume my electrical system should be quite capable of handling any plow the truck can fit.

Most or all of my business will be driveways. But to be clear, driveways in my area are NOT your classic suburban driveways. All of them are dirt or gravel and it is not uncommon for them to be several hundred feet long. So from a plowing perspective, their probably more akin to a small dirt road than a normal driveway. I do not anticipate plowing on any sort of pavement, so uneven surfaces and hidden rocks are highly likely.

Individual snowstorms in my area are usually comparatively light, around 4-8 inches at a time and getting 12+ inches in a single storm is rare though it can occasionally happen. We do however have a lot of snowbirds here, who could feasibly need you to plow their driveway when they come back up at the end of the winter. So since they likely haven’t had their driveways plowed while they’re gone, that could mean plowing 2-3 feet of snow that’s been piling up all winter.

If there is anything I’ve left out of this description, I would be happy to answer any other questions.

I’m looking at either a Western MVP Plus or MVP3, either way it will likely be a steel or stainless steel plow. I understand that a V plow is not a necessity for what I’m doing, but it seems to me it would be helpful on the occasions I hit deeper snow, such as the above snowbird scenario. If a V plow is actually an inferior option for what I’m doing then please do let me know.

So now that you have the backstory my main questions are.

1. I’m not quite clear on what the difference is between the MVP Plus and MVP3 so info on the practical difference would be greatly appreciated. Also while I realize prices can vary based on location and other factors, if you could tell me the general current price others are paying (including installation) that would be great too.

2. I’m looking at either 8.5 foot or 9.5 foot plow and am not sure which width would be better. Some of the driveways in the area are somewhat narrow, but not tiny, so I want to verify that the 9.5 won’t be too wide. Also would the 8.5 be too narrow for my truck. So please advise on which width is likely better suited for my purpose.

Of course any other info or tips for a newbie are welcome as well.

Thanks for all the help and for reading this rather log post.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I plow only driveways I started with a strait blade I now own 3 V plows and 1 strait blade. I am selling the strait blade and will never buy a strait blade again.

at full angle the plow needs to be wider than the truck track.
I wont plow a gravel drive, so no help there.

Good luck

#5 ·
I'm not quite sure since I know only two plow operators around here. One just used to use his bulldozer (so I suppose technically not a "plow" operator) and he is no longer operating here. The other uses a straight blade that I believe is an older Meyer plow, but I'm not certain. I do see a lot of Western plows on trucks in this area during the winter, but I don't know exactly what they are using them for, and at the time I wasn't paying attention to what type of plow they were.

Get the widest blade you can. It's the only way to push back the banks on the side of the driveway and lessen the likelihood of getting stuck.
I measured my truck and the widest point on the track (the front tires) is about 82 inches. So it seems the 9.5 foot plow will be the better option, since the 8.5 in full V would only have about four inches of clearence on each side, and in full scoop only about 1 1/2 inches. These dimensions are based on the MVP Plus but the MVP3 is about the same.

#4 ·
Get the widest blade you can. It's the only way to push back the banks on the side of the driveway and lessen the likelihood of getting stuck.

#6 ·
Never plow a driveway with a truck that has sat all year. Use a skid or loader.

Get a V blade. Pays for itself season 1. Get a blade supported locally by a good dealer. I run Fisher for the resale and dealer support.

Stock the rig with a container of sand, square point steel shovel, snacks, two quarts of fluid, wrenches to fit your hydro lines, electric terminal cleaner, diaelectic grease, 1000 lb strap.

Dont plow dirt or gravel until it freezes. Only push until the blade rises. Enjoy the fun.

#9 ·
1. I'm not quite clear on what the difference is between the MVP Plus and MVP3 so info on the practical difference would be greatly appreciated.
MVP plus is a flat top plow.

Product Font Event Rectangle Machine

MVP3 is a flared wing plow (top of blade is taller on the outside edges)

The flared wing will allow you to carry more snow in scoop and throw it further in vee or windrow if you get up to any speed.

#10 ·
Reactions: NYH1
#11 ·
I have both a flat top V-plow and a flared top plow.
I find no difference in the amount of snow the two plows can carry.

I do find that the flared top plow is more difficult to judge when strait for back dragging from garage doors.

Reactions: Avalanche 2500
#12 ·
I have both a flat top V-plow and a flared top plow.
I find no difference in the amount of snow the two plows can carry.

I do find that the flared top plow is more difficult to judge when strait for back dragging from garage doors.
Relocating snow Flared Top plows carry more, they also carry the snow over banks/windrows and allow for taller banks/windrows along the driveway / parking lot.
The only flat top plows I see anymore are older, Flare Tops is what's prominently used around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.