• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

So which is really better?

lawnkid

When I get a truck next year, I want to know if I should get a steel or poly plows. I plan on doing small to semi-big accounts.
I like the Western and Meyer brands. I did a search on this and you guys said that the steel plows are easier to fix, but not as well built, easily dented, and it becomes rusty. I think you guys also said that eventualy yhe poly plow begins to bend a little bit.
gimme your thoughts on this.

ADLAWNCUTTERS

poly plows are ok for the home owner doing his driveway. get a real plow like a western or a boss plow you wont be sorry. you can fix a steel plow for almost nothing. good luck.

jackfrost

I agree with ADLAWN get the steel,the only benifit I see with poly is you dont have to paint it year after year.If you read other posts on here some guys said they punched holes through the board and when it happens with poly the whole board has to be replaced.Ill stick with a BOSS steel v.You didnt say what type of plow your buying straight vs. v? I would go with the v there worth the extra money.

flmusj

Boss poly plow is only listed at 30lbs more. I love my poly 8'2. When the plow is in the scoop position and stacking heavy wet snow it doesn't stick to the blade. Which pulls on the trip springs and slams back when the snow lets loose. I can see the advantages of the steel plows for repair. My poly is 2 years old no holes yet. I did punch a hole in a boss 8'2" steel plow. We welded and painted it for very little cost. If it were the poly it would have cost me one poly wing.

OP
L

lawnkid

I would most likely go for the v plow. I plan on getting a 3/4 to 1 ton truck between a 91-95 with at least a plow prep package on it. Then I could either put a Boss or Western 7 1/2' or 8' plow on. Because in my neighborhood there are several narrow drives, I would probably go for a 7 1/2' plow so it can fit at least on an angle. How much does it cost to put a rubber snow deflector on the top of the plow? How long does it usually take to put a Boss V or Western V on a truck? Thanks for the replies, keepum commin.

Lawnkid

Mick

PlowSite.com Veteran
No experience with a poly, but it sounds the same as the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. And that's been argued for many years without a clear winner.

Lawn Lad

So how about it Mick... what's that sander and plow of your bolted up to? Chevy? Ford? Ram? lol. Just teasing. I know you're driving a Toyota.

Lawn Lad

Oooops, looks like no matter what brand you mention you're going to offend. How about Daewoo... anyone running a Daewoo? Thought so.

Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Daewoo? Hmmmm.

OP
L

lawnkid

Does anyone here own a Sno-way V plow. I think that plow would be good cause its got Down-pressure system. How much does a new steel V plow cost? Wondering if I could maybe get one used. i'd asume that they're pretty expensive. I was also looking at the Western Ultra-mount and Pro plow. The ultar-mount looks really neat and easy to do.

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
I considered a Snow way V,but it weighs as much as a Boss V,no savings there,it mounts up harder,and the plow isnt really a V-its more like a 2 ft straight blade with 3 ft wings.Maybe its just me,but it looks like the snow wouldn't roll across the blade very good,in the ful angle position.