Snow Plowing Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just literally laughed out loud :LOL: I was like What the...

I don't have a walker, thought about going that route though. We don't mow... yet.
I run Walker mowers. I haven’t yet used one for snow removal. In the video’s I’ve watched, it looks like they do exceptionally well. But, using a heavily weighted garden tractor for over 20 years to push snow with, I just can’t imagine the Walkers moving very deep snow with a blade. They just aren’t that heavy. As far as maneuverability, I can’t imagine anything better. One of these days I may buy a plow or blower for one and give it a shot. I’d like to try it out before writing that machine off as a snow machine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I run Walker mowers. I haven’t yet used one for snow removal. In the video’s I’ve watched, it looks like they do exceptionally well. But, using a heavily weighted garden tractor for over 20 years to push snow with, I just can’t imagine the Walkers moving very deep snow with a blade. They just aren’t that heavy. As far as maneuverability, I can’t imagine anything better. One of these days I may buy a plow or blower for one and give it a shot. I’d like to try it out before writing that machine off as a snow machine.
I plan on having the machine run regularly during storms, so the only accumulation should be between runs. If it takes an hour to do the walks, we should never see more than maybe 2-3" on the ground. Might be worth looking into...

·
Registered
58,644 Posts
Two blowers I’d guess about 2-3 hours to do the entire walkway once. I plan to pre-salt and salt during as needed and then at the end.
Do the blades scrap down to the concrete or leave snow? Only reason I was thinking broom.
It depends, if you're going to keep at it they will. But if it it builds and people walk on it you will get some hardpack although salting will help.

·
Registered
58,644 Posts
I’ve done sidewalks with a 4 wheeler too. They work well. If you use too large of one, they aren’t very nimble or maneuverable, but a 4X4 4-wheeler can push a lot of snow and fast.
4 wheelers suck on anything but long straight runs. And even then they aren't that great. ATV plows are too light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We went through the transition from single stage snowblowers to rators in the last couple years. As the person with boots on the ground there is no comparison. Me (And the other sidewalk guys) are all able to do more and get it done faster than with blowers. Eliminating the walking up and down the walks, along with no snow cloud makes us able/willing to work more. They have their quirks, but you will never go back to snowblowers for most properties. We can do city walks in 8 minutes that took previously 2/3 hours. Without being physically exhausted. Just my two cents.

We got ours used from a company in Chicago. Around $7500 for 2/300 hour machines.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
FWIW steel blades on old concrete have been known to chip edges/corners. See if you can run poly if you do blades on old stuff. UHMW works well.

I wouldn't trust the promise of "we will probably renew next year" as far as you can throw it. In writing or it isn't happening. Especially if you are doing this direct get with the client and explain how the better equipment requires the multi year. Explain how you can provide a better and more reliable service with a multi. Explain how you can only afford to put new stuff on clients sites that are committed to you.

If they are a solid client and you charge a fair rate they will keep with you when they realize you are committed to them not just the $.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
We went through the transition from single stage snowblowers to rators in the last couple years. As the person with boots on the ground there is no comparison. Me (And the other sidewalk guys) are all able to do more and get it done faster than with blowers. Eliminating the walking up and down the walks, along with no snow cloud makes us able/willing to work more. They have their quirks, but you will never go back to snowblowers for most properties. We can do city walks in 8 minutes that took previously 2/3 hours. Without being physically exhausted. Just my two cents.

We got ours used from a company in Chicago. Around $7500 for 2/300 hour machines.
This is what I wanted to know and the info I was looking for. I always look to do what I can to make the work easier for my guys. I'll be getting one for this season. Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
FWIW steel blades on old concrete have been known to chip edges/corners. See if you can run poly if you do blades on old stuff. UHMW works well.

I wouldn't trust the promise of "we will probably renew next year" as far as you can throw it. In writing or it isn't happening. Especially if you are doing this direct get with the client and explain how the better equipment requires the multi year. Explain how you can provide a better and more reliable service with a multi. Explain how you can only afford to put new stuff on clients sites that are committed to you.

If they are a solid client and you charge a fair rate they will keep with you when they realize you are committed to them not just the $.
I definitely am not relying on them for a renewal. No loyalty anywhere. Unfortunately they are a national maintenance company and this is how they approach these contracts. I've spoken to the supervisor and we'll take it as it comes.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I definitely am not relying on them for a renewal. No loyalty anywhere. Unfortunately they are a national maintenance company and this is how they approach these contracts. I've spoken to the supervisor and we'll take it as it comes.
Yeah you will only get renewed if they get it and if no one else comes in cheaper as a sub. That world is cutthroat-I'm a sub too. Keep in mind you are only getting 40-60% of the pie. When you can, get your own contracts.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts