SnowEx LT7200 Automatixx System: plug keeps getting knocked loose by cover!

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by BlackBeauty, Mar 16, 2019.

1. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Hi, Everyone.

I have a SnowEx LT7200 with Scrape Maxx that I bought new in Nov. 2017.

I've had an issue that crept up over the last couple of months: the "attach" of the Automatixx system works fine but "detach" did nothing.

Weather forecasters said we'd have a stretch without snow and I dropped the plow at my dealer. A mechanic came out and diagnosed the issue right on the spot in the parking lot: he removed the plastic cowl/cover and off came a plug with a blue tip from the top of the motor unit. I'm not sure what it's called but I'm going to post some photos. Long story short, the plug seemed to have no clip or anything to hold it in, but when he manually pressed it to connect, the "detach" and "attach" worked fine.

They ordered the part and replaced it under warranty, I picked up the plow yesterday and mounted it no problem. "Attach" and "detach" worked fine. Once they were sure all was okay, a mechanic came out and put on the plastic cowl. I got home and went to take off the plow and it wouldn't "detach"!

Today I went out and tinkered: took off the plastic cover and the plug was again knocked off! It seems there is not enough clearance for the plug when the cover is put on or removed and it knockes the plug loose.

I put zip ties on the plug and put on the cover carefully, but only popped in three of the four tabs. It's working fine, but I notified the dealer of the issue. I'll just wait until I take it in for its preseason service in October for them to see if there's a redesign or a more permanent fix. But has anyone else had such an issue? Seems like a design flaw for sure.

20190316_161808.jpg 20190316_161817.jpg 20190316_162540.jpg

20190316_162715.jpg

2. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting. I've only had my cover off once to top off fluid after having a angle cylinder fitting come loose.
    I'll have to take a look at that.

3. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Perhaps rotate the fitting that the pressure switch is mounted in?

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Maybe the latch for the connector is damaged.
    If you pull on the black part without releasing the lock tab does it come off?

Careful with the wires at the back of the connector when you secure it like that as it may rub into the wires over time.
    If you can secure the zip tie around the locking part to hold it down you will have less chance of damaging the insulation.

Bonus question... is it the blue part falling off the end of the connector or is it the whole connector falling off?

5. jonniesmooth

I didn't even notice the zip tie at first. I would put a tie around the fitting and the plug where the blue is and before tightening them up run another tie through them both on each side, then snug them all down. That leaves the wires alone.

6. OP
    OP
    BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Thanks for all the views and comments, folks. Much appreciated.

I'll try to address eveything mentioned:

1. it doesn't seem there *is* a lock tab, or anything that holds that in. It's the entire piece; the long black part and the blue thing on the end is just where the wires go in but the black thing completely comes off where it meets the metal. That's what I tried to show in the one photo where I'm holding the plug toward the camera. That thing sticking out the side doesn't seem to be any kind of locking thing, it just seems to hold on the blue end. Am I wrong? Should I try to move that little tab thing that's near my thumb (has a green Band Aid on it!) to see if it's a lock?

2. I put the zip ties between the wires so that the tension is on the blue plastic from which they protrude. I thought that would be safer. I later put a second tie around another piece of metal because one didn't do the trick.Yep...pretty nervous about sticking zip ties there; everything is so close there.

3.bliz, I was a little nervous to rotate *anything*. LOL! I didn't do the install and have zero clue what I'm looking at. I just figured that if this was the problem the first time, maybe it's the problem again. I've never had the cover off and only did so because I saw the mechanic at the dealer do it. Actually he's the one who suggested zip ties! He didn't know I was leaving the plow and offered to zip tie it until the part came in and they could put it in. He gave me the idea. At the time I asked him if there was something to hold the plug in and he said yes, but it likely broke off or something (?).

4.smooth, interesting perspective. I didn't think to wrap them "sideways" first and then run a zip line down them. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Hm.....

Again, you guys are so nice to try and help; it'd be better if I knew the names of the damned parts! LOL!

I'll investigate tomorrow to see if that thing sticking out from the side is a locking tab. I wonder why the dealer didn't lock it in when it was replaced?
    Many thanks again!

7. jonniesmooth

How about a gob of dielectric grease in the plug? Would that hold it?
    Working off the theory of greasing a mechanical fuel pump push rod so it stays up for you to get the arm in?

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

If the metal part and black plastic separate as they did the switch is “broken”. There is very little glue/plastic interference that is meant to hold it together. They break easily. You should be able to rotate the 90 o-ring fitting going into the block by loosening the collar slightly and rotating the fitting so that manipulating the cover does not contact the switch. Then retighten the collar. Easy fix and SX should warranty the pressure switch without a problem.

Mebes likes this.
  9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Ok i see it now...
    Keep it zip tied the way you have it until the dealer can replace the pressure switch.

The black plastic part that is supposed to be glued on to the end of the metal part is broken off and is stuck inside your electrical connector.

bliz&hinikerDLR likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

^ Mebes, really ???? OMG You're a genius !!!!! Thank you SO much ! This was making me crazy !!
    So just so I understand correctly : some of the metal part broke off and that's what I see inside the black plug ? And also the black plug is.called a pressure switch ??

Thanks bliz for that . I sent a.detailed email to my dealer and they're pretty good at replying. I'll follow up with a phone call. Thank you too Johnny. I appreciate all of your expertise so much.

So the million dollar question is I wonder if the dealer did anything at all to it when I left it there? I don't want to get suspicious cuz they've been good to me. Or they did replace it, and broke it off again when they put the cover back on. But at least I'll be more informed when I talk to them again.

ThankyouThankyouThankyou

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  11. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Credit should go to @bliz&hinikerDLR

Stock photo (not your exact switch) below shows what a normal switch should look like on the top. Your wire harness plugs into the black part.
    Your switch is broken at the same point as the second 1/2 image, and the black part is stuck inside your wire harness.

Not really sure about the million dollar question... 443653.jpg

bliz&hinikerDLR likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Ah.....I see now. Many thanks for that. Very very helpful .....

jonniesmooth likes this.
  13. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

As long as I have Paint open i figured I would put up a picture of this as well.

You can see that all the hydraulic fittings have a lock nut holding them in the correct position (1 in the image)
    If you loosen the lock nut under the 90 degree fitting that the pressure switch is attached to you can spin the whole assembly left or right (2 in the image).
    Ask your dealer to spin the switch location around to a position that has less chance of contact with the cover. 20190316_161808.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Awesome!!!! I'm printing this!!!! Thanks so much!

Thanks to all! You folks are the best!

15. John Schmidt

John Schmidt Junior Member

Did you check to make sure the pump has not come loose? If the pump came loose it could have bounced around on your way home and since the cover is sitting on the bracket the pump is bolted to it could cause the switch to break.

16. OP
    OP
    BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

^ hmm..... I didn't. But I sent Mebes photo to my dealer and he understood. He wants to fix it asap rather than waiting and the new pressure switch is on order. I'll ask that they check that nothing has come loose, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

17. OP
    OP
    BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Just popping in with more thanks -- had the new pressure switch put on and rotated so this doesn't happen again . Works great now!
    Part was backordered so I opted to wait til preseason service
    Thanks again everyone !!! 20191004_151932.jpg