Snowex LT blade flops all over, cylinders do not hold blade.

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by ggb6259, Nov 27, 2019.

1. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

New to me Snowex LT mid January last year had dealer add down pressure cylinder. From day one this thing has been goofy as all get out. When angling left or right with blade raised A) it slaps and bounces all over once it hits stops. B) it bounces all over mid travel stops c) when pushing or back dragging the blade slowly collapses back to the stops. D) Drop speed was a dead drop and would pound the ground. I was able to adjust the drop speed quill per manual and set the soft stop to an acceptible level. Original dealer pointed to air in the system, bled it and added fluid. Seemed better for a day or two but was not what I expected. Had one big week of snow last year and the thing went right back to being goofy soft. Same exact symptoms. Back to original dealer same cure and we have the same issue now.

Spoke with an old dealer about 50-60 miles away and his guess was something manifold/valve/ crossover valve, etc.

Original dealer is no longer Snowex and I took it to the new local dealer today. Gave them all the intel above. They call me back a few hours later and they diagnosed it the same as dealer #1. Me, did you call Snowex, kid mechanic, No we found a way to bleed the cylinders with the controller... Me really. Kid, Yup Self bleeding cylinders, showed me how you hit two buttons left and two buttons right. Me Oh OK. (In my head, manual has the process and that has been tried 20-30 times. But ok)

I've seen 2 videos of the Western Defender and Fischer HS that do not act like this thing. Black Beauty sent a video of his last year, which I no longer have and his does not do this. (could use that again and any other videos of the blade lifted and moving)

Had the Snowdogg MD on my Ram for 5 years and that plow was solid. No bouncing no slamming etc. It was smooth and did not slap the truck every time you moved the blade when raised. Never had the blade collapse towards the truck with snow on the blade. Raised or on the ground I could not move the blade and get cylinders to move in and out 4-5- inches.

So my plan:
    1) Notify Snowex - Done, sent them an message via contact option on interweb.
    2) Take some videos tomorrow. Cant push snow or back drag but I can show what it is doing while lifted.
    3) Go back to new dealer and ask them to CALL Snowex, open a ticket or whatever they need to do and figure this out.
    4) Find a new dealer that has experience. Maybe South Bend.
    5) Pull it off and sell it, but I'm not built that way to pass a problem along.
    6) Non productive, emotional response that involves violent death of said product.

I could really use suggestions and videos from the folks here that have any of the three plows Defender, HS or LT. Let me know if your's do the same. I cannot for the life of me consider what I'm seeing as normal.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

^ gg....so sorry to hear about your issues! Wow.
    I'll be happy to resend video and even make another if needed. Only issue I've had was diagnosed by someone here: pressure switch was being knocked loose by plastic cover. They turned it to a different angle during preseason service and it seems okay now. I wonder if something could be out right defective??? I know you've said this wasn't right from the start

3. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Hi there. Just resent video to your email Addy. Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Got it. Thanks! Mine hits stop a lot harder with bounce. The middle stop mine is my flopping all over. So I know they can work which means there's hope.

I could use a 7'2' wanna trade...

5. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Sorry wish I could help further. I know nothing mechanically about the plow; I had the dealer install it. I truly hope you can get it figured out though. Best of luck to you

6. OP
    OP
    ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Update-
    1) Notify Snowex - Done
    2) Take some videos tomorrow. Done. But Michigan has been under a cloud for the better part of 2019 and I did not get sound so I'm going to try that again and will post it later today.
    I'm going to look over the power unit wiring to see if there are any broken wires etc. Going to look for hydro fluid on the ground as well again.
    3) Called new dealer today and they did call Snowex. You would think Snowex would have a service record of last years call in for help. I think that the new dealer will get to the bottom of it, owner is stand up guy, but the whole thing with this plow has been incredibly frustrating.

7. BlackBeauty

BlackBeauty Member

Hoping for the best for you. Good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Did not find any issues with wiring but found hydro fluid on the right angle cylinder near the fitting to cylinder. The hydraulic line has a 90* adapter between the cylinder fitting and the hose and the way its routed pushes it counter clockwise, as in trying to loosen it. It's loose. I can move it by hand. I believe there's enough length to run it straight into the cylinder adapter. Cant believe there's not a hydraulic hose with the 90* fitting on it.

Fluid out - air in and that would explain the issue short of manifold issues.