Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
spitfire3416;2101617 said:
24" snapper 9 hp 2 stage, 22" craftsman 5 hp 2 stage, and then two toro 20" single stages. I'm afraid the single stages won't even make a dent in this
20" snow and 19 drives.

Your going to need 3 other guys to go out with you because you will need to have all 4 machines running to get that work done.

4 machines on 1 drive will be too much with everyone getting in others way.

Best to split up the work into 2 routes. With each route using a single stage and 2 stage. This way the 2 stage can get drive way opened up and the mail box cleared while the single stage is left for the easier stuff.

32vld;2101817 said:
20" snow and 19 drives.

Your going to need 3 other guys to go out with you because you will need to have all 4 machines running to get that work done.

4 machines on 1 drive will be too much with everyone getting in others way.

Best to split up the work into 2 routes. With each route using a single stage and 2 stage. This way the 2 stage can get drive way opened up and the mail box cleared while the single stage is left for the easier stuff.
The single stage won't do anything with 20" of snow. Maybe make quick passes with 2 stage and clean up with single? I'd be tempted to leave the singles at home and just use 2 stage. Also, again that 5 HP craftsman isn't going to do much in 20+" of snow unless it's in first gear moving about an inch at a time, stoping, then going another inch. I've done it, and it's miserable... Wished I hadn't wasted money.

As to getting a driveway open by a certain time that is always asked by the customer. And if they have a special need they will tell you.

I have found out quite often they will just ask when do you start your route out of curiosity.

If there is a special need as to when you start and depending on if you can do it or want to do it you work out an agreement.

Though what I tell my customers is that I always change up my route so that no keeps getting stuck at the end of the list.

LapeerLandscape;2101697 said:
The drives should be cleared you guys are right but my guess is these are secondary roads and probably havent been plowed yet so even if you can get out of your drive where you gonna go.
Amazing, I read all these posts from the beginning, got to yours and chuckled. Cause I was literally thinking the same thing. We havent had any substantial snow here this year but the previous 2 winters in the sub I had lived in if you didnt have 4x4 or live on my street you didnt get out for 2 days. So even if your driveway was bare pavement didnt matter.

JMHConstruction;2101825 said:
The single stage won't do anything with 20" of snow. Maybe make quick passes with 2 stage and clean up with single? I'd be tempted to leave the singles at home and just use 2 stage. Also, again that 5 HP craftsman isn't going to do much in 20+" of snow unless it's in first gear moving about an inch at a time, stoping, then going another inch. I've done it, and it's miserable... Wished I hadn't wasted money.
When the storms were bad enough I ran a 24" and 28" 2 stage blowers, and 1-2 men on a shovels. And we never did 19 jobs in 1 day.

This is why I suggest he throws everything he's got.

So I guess the client won't care that his neighbor was clean and plowed with a truck. I also guess the client will close one eye because his service provider does not show up because he uses a walk behind blower. As a home owner I would expect the same service regardless of choice of equipment provided by contractor. Unless the clients are expecting the OP after the storm and agreed upon this is bad service. I would think a guy just starting out would perform a little better for repeat business. A foot of snow is a lot of snow to me. Or am I acting high again.

johnnywaz;2101830 said:
Amazing, I read all these posts from the beginning, got to yours and chuckled. Cause I was literally thinking the same thing. We havent had any substantial snow here this year but the previous 2 winters in the sub I had lived in if you didnt have 4x4 or live on my street you didnt get out for 2 days. So even if your driveway was bare pavement didnt matter.
Its always nice to be ahead of the game when doing drives or lots with this much snow but sometimes its really funny, like where are you gonna go. :laughing: Thats right its bowling night I gotta get out.. :laughing:

johnnywaz;2101830 said:
Amazing, I read all these posts from the beginning, got to yours and chuckled. Cause I was literally thinking the same thing. We havent had any substantial snow here this year but the previous 2 winters in the sub I had lived in if you didnt have 4x4 or live on my street you didnt get out for 2 days. So even when if your driveway was bare pavement didnt matter.
One time after snow too deep to drive, the snow stopped 9 am but my street was never plowed. I cleared off my drive, walks, stoop, decks, cars.

2 pm the town still did not plow my street. At the end on my road was a 2 lane state route and an occasional vehicle would pass.

So my son and I took a blower each and we staggered and cut a path side by side to the state road. The we did the same thing going back up the hill to our house. We then loaded up the truck and went and did our route.

johnnywaz;2101830 said:
It matters to the person that needs or wants to get out after the city truck comes by. The op said 20'' expected not 4 or 5ft that will cripple the city. Your talking a small city population of 23K. If 20'' cripples the small city the city plow people are doing something wrong.

FredG;2101835 said:
So I guess the client won't care that his neighbor was clean and plowed with a truck. I also guess the client will close one eye because his service provider does not show up because he uses a walk behind blower. As a home owner I would expect the same service regardless of choice of equipment provided by contractor. Unless the clients are expecting the OP after the storm and agreed upon this is bad service. I would think a guy just starting out would perform a little better for repeat business. A foot of snow is a lot of snow to me. Or am I acting high again.
OP is down in NJ. His customers like mine do not get the amount of snow that you boy's upstate get or get as many snow storms.

So I would assume that his clients are more like mine then yours. I have people that go away for the winter and want their Drive cleaned so the house looks lived in so thieves are not tempted to break in and rob them. And or they are on in years and or health issues, can't do it themselves no more, and either way they are retired so it does not matter when there Drive gets done.

They are happy to have some one that does good work and is dependable.

I have had people drop the last guy they had that used a plow and where happy to go with slow me because I used blowers.

To assume all of the OP's 19 customers have to make the 5:35am train into the city so he has no flexibility, or that all 19 customers have to be out of their house 5:35 Sunday morning to get on that train to go to work.

Everything is not black and white, even though the asphalt and snow are.

FredG;2101858 said:
It matters to the person that needs or wants to get out after the city truck comes by. The op said 20'' expected not 4 or 5ft that will cripple the city. Your talking a small city population of 23K. If 20'' cripples the small city the city plow people are doing something wrong.
It was/is a HUGE city. Sterling Heights, Michigan population around 131K. I do agree they were doing something wrong (Totally inept!) These were only 12in storms. Lol... Also I was not saying to leave a person snowed in for days.

32vld;2101865 said:
OP is down in NJ. His customers like mine do not get the amount of snow that you boy's upstate get or get as many snow storms.

So I would assume that his clients are more like mine then yours. I have people that go away for the winter and want their Drive cleaned so the house looks lived in so thieves are not tempted to break in and rob them. And or they are on in years and or health issues, can't do it themselves no more, and either way they are retired so it does not matter when there Drive gets done.

They are happy to have some one that does good work and is dependable.

I have had people drop the last guy they had that used a plow and where happy to go with slow me because I used blowers.

To assume all of the OP's 19 customers have to make the 5:35am train into the city so he has no flexibility, or that all 19 customers have to be out of their house 5:35 Sunday morning to get on that train to go to work.

Everything is not black and white, even though the asphalt and snow are.
Maybe I should go buy some walk behind blowers so I can get some driveways on Gray fox lane. :laughing: Must be nice to have clients that don't give a fat rats A$$ service provider shows when he wants. It's not my business to know when they want or need to get out. My business is to make sure they can get out period with no avenues to it.

johnnywaz;2101876 said:
It was/is a HUGE city. Sterling Heights, Michigan population around 131K. I do agree they were doing something wrong (Totally inept!) These were only 12in storms. Lol... Also I was not saying to leave a person snowed in for days.
I was assuming the OP was in South Plainfield which I thought was in Mass.

Looks like it comes down to the clients. I know when I did residential with blowers I would go out multiple times, and my clients knew that. But I also charged per time I came out, and said I'd be there every 5-8" on large storms. They hired a professional for a reason, not some kid with a shovel after a storm from CL.

Just my two cents. Not saying others business plans or models don't work for them.

JMHConstruction;2101928 said:
Looks like it comes down to the clients. I know when I did residential with blowers I would go out multiple times, and my clients knew that. But I also charged per time I came out, and said I'd be there every 5-8" on large storms. They hired a professional for a reason, not some kid with a shovel after a storm from CL.

Just my two cents. Not saying others business plans or models don't work for them.
I have a base price and for every inch the snow gets deeper the price goes up. Asphalt 1" trigger, gravel 4".

We got 24" yesterday. :drinkup:

This is my first year with a plow. Yesterday I did my 1st round of pushes on my route. Though all the snow blower work was left for todays clean up run.

KildonanSnowRem;2102802 said:
Wow. Thats unfortunate.
Everyone has their own way of doing things. Personally I hate how slow the 2 stages are, but where I live we don't get huge amounts of snow. When we do, my guys can usually keep up with it. If not though, or if we get called to a place that hasn't been touched, 2 stage save the day. Everything has its purpose.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.