Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Rubber City Landscaping, Jul 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

K

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

As I said my boy and I are looking for tyres and I'm the guy that looks at "landed cost" not just the price of the tyre. I've bought from Tire Rack in the past and used one their "approved" installers. Tire Rack has a warehouse in Denver and by picking them up I save another $64.00. Granted I have to go Denver to get them but I go down there every month or so and it wouldn't be a special trip. GY have a $80.00 prepaid CC as a rebate going on till the end of September. I compared landed cost from Tire Rack and Discount tyre which is local. By going with Tire Rack it's $23.24 less before the $64.00 discount for picking them up. Also I have 2 Discount Tire shops that are pretty mulch equal distance from my place. The store on Loveland has a tax rate that's just over 2% less than the store in Bongmont so I go to Loveland, no sense in leaving money on the counter..... I'm sure when Discount calls up my phone number in the putor a red banner pops up which means challenging customer.... Yeah I'm that guy.

upload_2019-8-13_9-49-24.png

Philbilly2 likes this.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Buddy in HS had a Vega with a tuned up SB 400 and he ran wrinkle walls on it.

4. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you're price shopping and don't mind driving, I'll get a price from my local shop and you can drive to Milwaukee to have them installed. Thumbs Up

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since dad was a kid of the depression he taught use not to leave money on the table and how to be frugal.

6. CCSnow

CCSnow Junior Member

I'm not sure if the one in Denver installs but the one in South Bend will install them. Costs $15 a tire if I remember right.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 PlowSite Veteran

Costco has a limited selection and no alignment machine

8. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 PlowSite Veteran

Tirerack had the Goodyear blimp here in town all weekend to promote their relationship... Baseball mom that does marketing there got to go up for a ride... I guess each employee got one ticket per year of service in the drawing...

In their early days they started out of an old Studebaker building until they built their current place. Buddies from high school that worked there would talk about how Shaq showed up to buy some 20" AMG wheels and P Zeros back in the 90's...

Great place to work...

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

Thumbs Up

People laugh at me when I tell them that the reason I go the Menards in Morris vs Yorkville is to save 2% on the tax rate. They are equal distances from my house/shop, so why not keep the 2 points in house?

Same for buying a car/truck... you see a cheaper deal towards the city and still end up paying more by the time you get out the door based on the fact that our tax rate out here can be as much as almost 5% lower...

BUFF, FredG and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Why would they laugh? You can't respect 2% how do you respect 20% or more. My Grandfather use to say, you can't respect the penny you can't respect the dollar.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  11. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

So, the 11% sale is only 9% savings in yorkville?

Philbilly2 likes this.
  12. Philbilly2

I am more of a glass half full type...

it is 11% in Yorkville... 13% in Morris ;)

EWSplow likes this.
  13. Philbilly2

People think that 2% is nothing... :confused:

Just like paying the supply house in 10 days from statement... earns 2% - that same 2% added up across all material purchased threw the whole year will buy a truck come December... :nod:

FredG likes this.
  14. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite.com Addict

I lost all respect for the penny when it has a zinc core.

Randall Ave, BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Our vehicle sales tax and registration ransom is based on the county and sity the vehicle is registered in. In my case sales tax in my county is 3.7% (2.9% state, .8% county tax) if you live in the unincorporated part of the county. If I lived within the sity limits of town shown on my address not zip code it would be 7.7%. All county's and sity's have there own sales tax rate in addition to state sales tax.
    I have large dollar things delivered to my house is the delivery fee is equal of less than the sales tax at the point of purchase or if it's free.

16. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

thinking this one may have run its course? if we can get back on track I can leave it open, but if not, I can close it down.

17. sota

sota Senior Member

I'm looking at either Cooper (Evolution Winter, Discover M+S) or YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR I/T G072 at this point. The Coopers can be had with studs as well. I'm still of the opinion, from past experience, that snows should have big blocks and big voids. Every set of "snows" I've ever run on my cars has been like that, and have never let me down.
    Also trying not to spend a massive amount of money on these things.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Those Evolution look similar to the M&S.

19. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo, What contractor don't price out materials? In the car business buying parts we would go with a 50 cent savings. They all deliver same part.

20. sota

sota Senior Member

doing a little more digging, and the evolutions are now out. They're really more of a street tire.