Snow removal just doesnt seem to work anymore, but i keep doing it

94gt331

Been plowing for 14 years now.
We have 100 snow removal accounts, they are all per push and per salt.
We havent plowed a single time this year.
I cant take on a full time job in the winter, because i have to be ready for snow as most of you know in this buisiness.
We have 4 plow trucks, 2 skidloaders, and 3 guys running snow blowers, i have the staff ready to go. No snow.
It seriously gets very dark for me anymore this time of year. The helplessness, the desperation sets in. Why? Im ready to go for my customers to serve them and my crew, and we are just waiting and watching the bank account go down every winter.

Sigh sorry for the depressing post
Anyone have any advice

leigh

PlowSite Veteran
Been plowing for 14 years now.
We have 100 snow removal accounts, they are all per push and per salt.
We havent plowed a single time this year.
I cant take on a full time job in the winter, because i have to be ready for snow as most of you know in this buisiness.
We have 4 plow trucks, 2 skidloaders, and 3 guys running snow blowers, i have the staff ready to go. No snow.
It seriously gets very dark for me anymore this time of year. The helplessness, the desperation sets in. Why? Im ready to go for my customers to serve them and my crew, and we are just waiting and watching the bank account go down every winter.

Sigh sorry for the depressing post
Anyone have any advice
I been there. Only thing to remember is it balances out.Its like seasonal contracts, got to look at a multi year period. Plus the season may balance out. We've has 1 plow this season.2" ! the 4 salting events I went out alone, took a guy to do sidewalks one storm to have someone to talk to ! I do other work to pay bills ,so at least I have money coming in.Maybe find someone that needs a helper in one of the trades that's flexible .

NBRam1500

Where we are located could be 20mm of rain, 40 min west of here could be 30 cm of snow.
If that's the forecast we will advertise in that area during that storm. Get 10-15 calls for that storm, it's worth the 40 min drive if I would have been sitting home sitting on plowsite anyway.

OP

94gt331

I been there. Only thing to remember is it balances out.Its like seasonal contracts, got to look at a multi year period. Plus the season may balance out. We've has 1 plow this season.2" ! the 4 salting events I went out alone, took a guy to do sidewalks one storm to have someone to talk to ! I do other work to pay bills ,so at least I have money coming in.Maybe find someone that needs a helper in one of the trades that's flexible .
I really thought about working for some nationals at this point, as much as everyone hear has said not to, i listened to everyone here on not working for nationals lol. I have a couple buddys that are making easy money in there guarenteed seasonal contracts with them

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
I really thought about working for some nationals at this point, as much as everyone hear has said not to, i listened to everyone here on not working for nationals lol. I have a couple buddys that are making easy money in there guarenteed seasonal contracts with them
FWIW, we’re only 19
Days into the official winter season and 69 days into a 182 day contract season for snow. last season we didn’t plow until Jan 18, this season we plowed November 10, and it was the most snow we’d ever gotten that early.

Also, seasonal contracts are worth it for us.

cjames808

I always sell a few seasonal accounts, every year we get enough to cover most of our bills. Not all but most.

Like above if you making huge bets maybe the snow insurance is a good idea. We would have all made out on that this year.

Luther

PlowSite Veteran
last season we didn’t plow until Jan 18, this season we plowed November 10, and it was the most snow we’d ever gotten that early.

Actually it was Saturday 1/19 when had our first plowable event of 4"-6" last year. And it was November 11th & 12th when that storm moved in. :nod:

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Lasting in any business is more than being able to sell work and complete it.
Budgeting and cash flow is a major component.
Watch an episode of Shark Tank, nobody can invest in an "if" why should you be any different.. "If it snows you make out like a bandit"... What the other side to that if?
You've been at it for 14 years, is this the first time you've had to learn you have a serious vulnerability? Easy way out is to give it up, best thing to do is learn from it and start making changes for next season.

Top Forums