1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plowing in Vail, CO - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BenPlowedLandscaping, Jul 16, 2017.

1. BenPlowedLandscaping

BenPlowedLandscaping Junior Member

Hello All,

We are a Landscape and Snow Removal company from Denver. Last winter was terrible for us in Denver so we are planning to relocate the company to Vail/High Rockies for the winter. We plan to run 3 truck, 1-2 atv's, multiple shovels, etc... during the season up there.

Seeing as how we've never worked in Vail, we're simply operating on the basis that several friends who live/work in the area have made comments about how "people are always looking for reliable plows"... Do any of you work in the area and can you provide any guidance regarding pricing, contracts, sub-contracts, etc...

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time!

Ben Plowed

And just to save everyone some time, we are fully licensed, insured, bonded, etc... in Colorado.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You'll have to negotiate with Buff. He'll be along shortly. He is the reigning King of Colorado.

In all seriousness, best of luck.

JustJeff likes this.
  3. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Before you change markets, I'd do an honest assessment of why you cant make it where you are now. Just changing scenery wont solve your problems if they are intrinsic to you or your company. Besides, if i spent all winter in vail, it would be with my skis under my feet

shawn_ and Mark Oomkes like this.
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

A lot of areas across the country have seen their snow totals decline. Try s satellite business at the new location, and keep what you have now. Buff is Mr. Colorado. Good luck.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty gutsy to uproot an established business based on what someone says vs doing some market research.

Unlikely, but what happens if Vail suffers a below average season?

6. BenPlowedLandscaping

BenPlowedLandscaping Junior Member

The reason for the move is that there was NO snow in Denver last year. We only plowed 5 different times. In Vail, it snows basically every day. Much more business.

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Veteran

That doesn't sound like a very strong business model to me.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

So are you moving the entire bizness??? Commuting? What are the bizness requirements in Vail?

If you plowed 5 times, there was snow. Just not as much as you'd like.

Maybe you need to restructure so you can make money on low snow years...I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure this has happened before in Denver.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That's Rocky Mountain King or Oyster.....

Ben have you considere Summit Country or even Winter Park/Frasier? To me these are larger market areas than Vail, also I think you'd have better luck finding a place to set up shop for a lot less money.
    Don't know how long you've been on Colo but the high county does go several weeks with oot snow too. Not like in the Front Range but they still have dry spells. When you consider the cost to set up shop could you absorb the operating cost for several weeks with oot income?
    You should also think about how your going to manage snow banks and piles. I'm sure you've done some research but snow doesn't cook oof like it does in the front range and a blower and loader will be needed when parking lots and driveways start to choke off due to the snow.

shawn_ likes this.
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic