Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 7-1/2’ Meyers “C” series moldboard on 3/4 ton pickup. Im wearing out shoes in one snow. I plow 20 mile of road in a development. Did not have this problem with last truck and plow which wasn’t a Meyers. I know a lot of you don’t use the shoes but they saved wear on cutting bar with prior setup. I recently welded a section of old cutting bar on shoes and In one plow it wore a little over half down already. Does it sound normal? Would a poly edge hold up better?

· Registered
15,308 Posts
Hows the angle of attack is the Aframe level?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bought the plow used and believe the first set was factory. Plow was not used very hard from the original owner. The next set was aftermarket. The third time had the cutting bar welded to the bottom which should be a hardened steel. I understand a comment on quality but if the hardened steel wears away that much in one plow there’s either something wrong on the set up or it just does not hold up to that much asphalt.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
There are quite a few threads regarding fast wearing cutting edges. There are aftermarket companies that make replacement edges specifically designed to resist wear, utilizing better ingredients in the steel manufacturing process. County and,state trucks use them for this reason.. They are significantly more expensive, but you'll be changing edges out much less often

Keep in mind as you're wearing out that edge, the plow angle is being altered due,to the reduced height of the edge,. Unless, of course you're making corresponding adjustments to the a frame gear behind it.

I would buy factory shoes first and see how it affects wear.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I’m going to plow without shoes and look at cutting bar options for next season. It doesn’t seem right that thes shoes wear out so fast. I plowed same development for 5-6 years prior with western plow and only went through 3 sets of shoes and one cutting bar. I’ve worn out 3 sets of shoes in less than one season with the Meyers blade. They repaved development 2 years ago and that’s when I started seeing faster wear...coincidence? I’ll check other threads too. Thanks

· Registered
60,321 Posts
What is a "cutting bar"?

· Registered
2,618 Posts
I plow roads . Usually only get about 36-40 hours out of a 5/8 edge . Never use shoes . They want black tar as much as possible so no shoes. I run an 8 foot fisher .

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for comparison
I usually use the shoes to help with wear. The edge still makes contact. The confusion on my end is that prior to them repaving, I didn’t have as quick of wear on blade or shoes. In hours I’m going through 1 set of shoes in 2.5 - 3 hours. I went 3 seasons or about 26 - 30 hours before replacement. That s hours just on roads and not other blacktop driveways. Seams like newer blacktop is harder or newer steel is a lot softer. I’m going with just the blade unless I figure something else out.

· Registered
556 Posts
I see 2 problems with this combination. A 7.5 c series and 20 miles of plowing. That kind of wear seems completely normal as i believe the cutting edge is 3/8". Its a entry level plow setup. Youll beable to purchase thicker edges through aftermarket. Maybe less hopping on the new pavement, no tar ect.

· Registered
556 Posts
The C series was their heavier duty plow. Not sure if they used the same cutting edge as their 7.5 ST plow, but I doubt it. I would assume it's the thicker edge
The 7.5 used a 3/8. I actually had to look it up. Owned one a while back. 8' + got the 1/2. Nothing really "heavy duty" about a 7.5. Do you have 3 or 4 springs on that plow?

· Registered
6,545 Posts
The 7.5 used a 3/8. I actually had to look it up. Owned one a while back. 8' + got the 1/2. Nothing really "heavy duty" about a 7.5. Do you have 3 or 4 springs on that plow?
You are correct. I had to look it up myself. They must just use the same edge as the lighter duty st. They do at least have the 4 springs.

I wonder what the odd are of getting an 8' edge and having the holes line up. Then just cut off the extra

· Registered
556 Posts
I was questioning that to, before i started using carbide when you bought from our dealer they gave you the 9ft edge and you always had to cut the excess anyway.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.