Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Toro 721 QZE snowblower
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How much snow do you get on average?

It would likely work for lighter snowfalls but I think your mower is going to be too light to get into heavier snowfalls/drifts.

As the others have said, good for you for having the ambition to get out and work.
It was my first year in business and I got 14 inches. Last year I bought a brand new toro snowblower and only used it 3 times. We usually get light snow falls about 1.5—2” per fall.

·
Registered
14,744 Posts
It was my first year in business and I got 14 inches. Last year I bought a brand new toro snowblower and only used it 3 times. We usually get light snow falls about 1.5—2” per fall.
If you can get something fabricated to work for a reasonable price, its worth a shot. You should be able to push light snow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just go buy a garden tractor with a blade. Older (1990’s and back) Cub Cadets work well. I still use them for sidewalks and small areas. You can typically pick them up running for less than $1000. At least in my area.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Have you invested in some high quality shovels?
You are realizing that the blower is slow.
We call them slowblowers, for a reason.
The reality is for 2-3" snow falls. You will be faster with a 48" snowplow shovel, with a 24" for the small walks to the doors.
throw a 36" in the mix and you've got the whole arsenal.
I'm a 51 yo fat guy and still knock out double drives 40' long in about 6 minutes with less then 3" of snow.
There is a " cool" factor with equipment, and I really like my heated tractor cab and radio.
But, that doesn't change reality.
You've got time, take it slow. What is your plan if you brake the mower in the winter?
What are you going to use for a mower in the spring?

·
Registered
321 Posts
If we had more people like this the future would be awful bright. This guys going to be successful at whatever he does.

I’m with a few others here, I wouldn’t put my main mower on snowplowing for the wear and tear, the salt, getting into tight spots, can’t back drag, can’t pile snow to high and you’ll still have to do the steps by hand.
I don’t think the mower will be as good as you think it will but maybe look into a good cordless snowblower, their quiet, light, have a ton of power and easy to transport.

If you are set on something with a plow, like someone else here said, I think you’ll have a lot more success with an ATV.

Good luck and hope it’s some minor repair on the mower.

·
Super Moderator
42,315 Posts
Have you invested in some high quality shovels?
You are realizing that the blower is slow.
We call them slowblowers, for a reason.
The reality is for 2-3" snow falls. You will be faster with a 48" snowplow shovel, with a 24" for the small walks to the doors.
throw a 36" in the mix and you've got the whole arsenal.
I'm a 51 yo fat guy and still knock out double drives 40' long in about 6 minutes with less then 3" of snow.
There is a " cool" factor with equipment, and I really like my heated tractor cab and radio.
But, that doesn't change reality.
You've got time, take it slow. What is your plan if you brake the mower in the winter?
What are you going to use for a mower in the spring?
I agree low snow amounts a Snowplow shovel clear's your typical in town driveway pretty quick and use the blower for deeper snows.
If I recall correctly a far amount of their storms start out as rain/sleet and turns to snow. A 48" wide shovel may be a little much for a younger person to handle when there's a layer of slush under the snow and would suggest the 36".

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Quick search of Lincoln Ne Craigslist

·
Registered
Toro 721 QZE snowblower
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If we had more people like this the future would be awful bright. This guys going to be successful at whatever he does.

I’m with a few others here, I wouldn’t put my main mower on snowplowing for the wear and tear, the salt, getting into tight spots, can’t back drag, can’t pile snow to high and you’ll still have to do the steps by hand.
I don’t think the mower will be as good as you think it will but maybe look into a good cordless snowblower, their quiet, light, have a ton of power and easy to transport.

If you are set on something with a plow, like someone else here said, I think you’ll have a lot more success with an ATV.

Good luck and hope it’s some minor repair on the mower.
thanks for the advic. Also the problem was a simple spring so easy repair.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Cute trailer btw
nice dig, what's the point?
There are many vids on youtube where people are converting zero turn and that style mower posted by the OP to plows. Only a few have identified that these are not designed to put more stress on the hyd motors and such for pushing snow. I just picked up an older 20 hp gravely ride on with 48" blower/snow cannon and 60" grass cutting deck for 650.00 for my kids Christmas present. I also have a gravely walk behind with a plow, older that most on this board. Starts with second pull. You better have some balls behind the pull strap though.....
On the hustler surfer I'd be skeptical especially a new one that is used in the warm season for work. They are light duty mowers.

Plows and blower attachments are harder on EVERYTHING they get mounted on. Who's to say they're that much worse on a stander mower than they are on a garden tractor, atv, or a truck for that matter.

I've got a 32" stander that is a literal tank. Fixed deck heavy metal, separate wheel motors and pumps, etc. I've been highly considering somehow getting a plow on it as a sidewalk machine. Not only would it out perform the garden tractor, but it will do it easy, more efficiently and most of all faster! Right now it's up the snowblower and the 3ft shovel but I'm leaning more and more towards putting my old stander to work instead. The big issue would be whether or not i can fit chains on the stander because there is very little clearance between the tires and the fenders.

·
Registered
58,642 Posts
Sew mulch anger...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts