Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Toro 721 QZE snowblower
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Jacob and I am 15 years old. I have had a snowblowing business for years now and want to move to snowplowing instead of snowblowing due to the quickness that plowing gives you. I am looking for a rather inexpensive plow that has electric lift for my Hustler Surfer Pro. I saw the SnowMate plow with electric lift for $1599.99 but it said they were back ordered so I’d be getting it in January, which would be fine. I go to my dad for a lot of advice and I showed him this one and he was saying that that was too expensive. He wants to fab a blade so that it can attach onto my stand on and has electric lift. I think that I should go with something that was made by a company instead of trying to make our own. The snow mate is also the cheapest blade that has what I want. What do you think I should do? I included a picture of my mower .
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
I don't see why not. Metal and a welder.
However, what happens when you break your main money maker?

·
Super Moderator
42,247 Posts
Hi! My name is Jacob and I am 15 years old. I have had a snowblowing business for years now and want to move to snowplowing instead of snowblowing due to the quickness that plowing gives you. I am looking for a rather inexpensive plow that has electric lift for my Hustler Surfer Pro. I saw the SnowMate plow with electric lift for $1599.99 but it said they were back ordered so I’d be getting it in January, which would be fine. I go to my dad for a lot of advice and I showed him this one and he was saying that that was too expensive. He wants to fab a blade so that it can attach onto my stand on and has electric lift. I think that I should go with something that was made by a company instead of trying to make our own. The snow mate is also the cheapest blade that has what I want. What do you think I should do? I included a picture of my mower . View attachment 258715
Hey Jacob welcome to the site :hi:

I'm with you're dad on this, $1,600.00 is pretty spendy when you can get a used ATV plow for $150-300 to be used as a donor and a small ATV winch to use as a lift for $100-400 depending on brand.
Using a mower does have some draws backs, exposure to salt is probably the biggest one and mowers with casters in the front tend to get pushed by the snow plow when windrowing heavier / deeper snow. The push from the plow can be reduced by adjusting the amount of power on the opposing drive wheel from the windrow but it'll still get pushed.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
I just drive it around the neighborhood
Gotcha. I had a feeling that's what you were going to say. While that might be ok in 75 degree sunny days, I don't know how feasible that will be with snow everywhere.

It'll be considerably more money but an ATV with a plow might be better suited if you are serious and have to travel more than next door. And hell, even next door might be a stretch unless your city streets are cleaned a lot better than mine are.

Cute trailer btw

·
Registered
Toro 721 QZE snowblower
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good for you! Nothing makes me happier to see a young person doing something other than playing on their Nintendos.

I know nothing about mowers so I can't be much help to you there. I think your dad is on the right track here.
I have always loved being outdoors and mowing. I grew up without video games.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
There are many vids on youtube where people are converting zero turn and that style mower posted by the OP to plows. Only a few have identified that these are not designed to put more stress on the hyd motors and such for pushing snow. I just picked up an older 20 hp gravely ride on with 48" blower/snow cannon and 60" grass cutting deck for 650.00 for my kids Christmas present. I also have a gravely walk behind with a plow, older that most on this board. Starts with second pull. You better have some balls behind the pull strap though.....

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
There are many vids on youtube where people are converting zero turn and that style mower posted by the OP to plows. Only a few have identified that these are not designed to put more stress on the hyd motors and such for pushing snow. I just picked up an older 20 hp gravely ride on with 48" blower/snow cannon and 60" grass cutting deck for 650.00 for my kids Christmas present. I also have a gravely walk behind with a plow, older that most on this board. Starts with second pull. You better have some balls behind the pull strap though.....
Those old gravelys remind me of my old leaf vac that was pull start

·
Super Moderator
42,247 Posts
I have a '68 L series Gravely with a 10hp Kohler my dad bought new. That thing was a handful for a kid......
Now I use it mainly for tilling and mowing ditches.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I've scoffed at the Snowmate for awhile.
Now I'm leaning toward getting one as a back up unit.
So allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jon, and I'm the guy who isn't afraid to attempt to build stuff on my own,that I don't have the skills for AND post pictures of it here.
I don't think it's worth your (or my) time to build this yourself.
The blade is $999, the upfit for the lift /angle is $600.
You could do a simple winch to lift to start.
BUT,
Big BUT,
I don't think your machine is big enough to handle winter use. It seems to be a smaller wheel machine to me.
Plusses for me to be considering this:
It will fit on a 5x10 single axle trailer
I already have the Grandstand
It's a back up unit, not going to be used every day.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Lincoln is a pretty nice around the Hay Market area. I end up going there in the spring after a job fair at South East Community College in Milford.
I've been to Lincoln on a motorcycle road rally.
I was supposed to get a picture of Mean Gene Okerland's burger joint, but it wasn't there anymore. It was a McD's now ( then?)

Reactions: Jmbllc

·
Registered
58,558 Posts
How much snow do you get on average?

It would likely work for lighter snowfalls but I think your mower is going to be too light to get into heavier snowfalls/drifts.

As the others have said, good for you for having the ambition to get out and work.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts