Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law was telling me about these big hopper type units that the city of Chicago dumps snow into and it melts the snow and the water goes down into the drian system. Anyone use these things? I never saw one.

Neal

·
Registered
358 Posts
These units are mostly used by municipalities and airports. They're big bucks to purchase or lease. John Allin referred to one in a previous thread a while back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i went on a tour of logan airports snow and ice control operation a few years ago and they have some of these. a couple were mobile and a couple permanant. i wish i wrote down the amount of fuel they burn it was obscene, near 100 gph.

·
2000 Club Member
2,319 Posts
Someone mentioned that their granddaddy told them about melting snow curbside years ago. Some type of flame thrower mounted under the dump body, aimed at the gutter. The truck would just roll along real slow melting as it went.

On that fuel consumption note, the 2 boilers where I work burn 24,000 gallons per day. The tanker trucks just keep coming and coming and coming.....

~Chuck

·
Registered
311 Posts
New York city used on a week back in times square to clean up the snow before New Years, neat to watch, worked well.
what it is is a vat of boiling water. snow goes in and becomes part of the water. water is slowly let out so that it doesnt overflow but it doesnt completely empty

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mr Allin...

Sorry for these french links...

University here in Quebec, Canada works on this project for environemental reasons.

the unit will be used to removed snow in the streets. the unit have a hose at the end connected to the streets mainhole. by this way, water will be treated by the water station before returning in the soil with less polutions.

no idea when they will begin to use it.

But here in sherbrooke, quebec, canada. for the next winter we will need to be registed at the city. They want to know what kind of equipment we use and wich sector we cover. I dont know how much it will cost, all this because too much truck put the snow in the street. The good news, i think it will make disapear the scalper or those who operate cash only.

sorry again for my english, my french' better but i don't want to chat alone !!!

[Edited by 4 Saisons on 01-11-2001 at 06:35 PM]

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
4 S...

I gotta keep in mind that you're french.... any you might not understand when I'm kidding.

I was just pulling your leg about not being able to read the language. It was a joke. No need to apologize. It was my fault.

I was joshin with ya, dude !!! No matter what language you speak, you're in the snow business... so you're one of us !!

You keep right on communicating like you are - you're doing just fine. Your input is valuable and welcome. Keep it comin !!

[Edited by John Allin on 01-11-2001 at 07:08 PM]

·
Registered
260 Posts
Reading 100% even when you guys are joking or kidding.

BTW about the permit we gonna have next years, for us its new. never heard about this before. Does some of you have to pay this and how much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.