Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Long time no post.

I run a landscaping business seasonally but take off every other winter to travel.

Getting back into snow this year. Only residential and small town commerical.
(All snowblowers and shovels, no plows)

Will you guys start to sell your contracts around this time? I am getting a number of snow inquiries already at this time.

I think pre-selling and paid for the season up front is the route I will take from now until November or so. Hopefully sell a bunch of paid up front contracts for residential.

Also trying to weigh the benefits of per season/month vs per push.

(Seems to me a set rate per month or for the season is a win win if you price high enough, my aim this year will be increased rates)

Do you guys have a mix and match where some clients are paid up for the month / season and some like per push?

We are running two crews this winter, 4 to 6 employee's on blowers. Going to need to factor my pricing into payroll etc.

· Registered
15,547 Posts
How do you like to price your residentials?

All seasonal? Up front payment?

Any per push?
Ours are all per push, invoiced monthly. Occasionally, we get the client who complains about over servicing. I have a simple response: No problem, we'll quit doing your property.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ours are all per push, invoiced monthly. Occasionally, we get the client who complains about over servicing. I have a simple response: No problem, we'll quit doing your property.[/QUOTE

lol Awesome,

And you individualise your rates according to driveway size / snowfall amounts etc?

I have had less luck with selling per push but I can see the benefit.

We do this with lawns as well, we will be putting clients credit cards on file and charging accordingly whoever is per push.

· Registered
259 Posts
We actually sent out emails to all our existing clients yesterday. 4 responses so far! Lol

It’s all these cooler nights that gets people thinking about winter.

We are dropping all our commercial clients this year and only focusing on residential. We get everyone to pay in advance for the season.

If your going to do monthly payments, make them all the same, because one month you’ll have a few cleanups and then the next you’ll have lots! We used to allow our commercial clients to pay monthly, but all residential clients pay in advance.

· Registered
259 Posts
The market in fergus is too low in my opinion in both residential and commercial. I give them my price, if they don’t like it then no problem. I’ll get another client to replace you. Seems to be $500-$600 for the season is the norm around here for a residential driveway which is nuts! I don’t know how anyone makes money going out 20-25x a season at those prices. But, people still do it. Guelph on the other hand is a way better market. Usually 2-3x the amount of what you can get in fergus. I just hate driving to Guelph, it sucks up a lot of time!

· Registered
259 Posts
Are they legit company’s or just fly by nighters? Most around here are legit company’s offering those prices. I don’t know how they do it with all the overhead they have. I usually have “shop talk” with some of the bigger guys around here, I really don’t understand how they can offer those prices. They do not make much if anything, especially with employees.

· Registered
65 Posts
Little bit of both. I think what happens is they get all the money upfront, then it’s all gone by Christmas. I have 6 driveways and that’s 6 too many in my eyes. If you’re going to do driveways, only do driveways and be properly set up for it, or stick to commercial. How any one thinks plowing city driveways with a pick up is efficient or profitable is beyond my thinking.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those prices are ridiculous I feel your pain boys.

We do residential in Mississauga and Orangeville/GrandValley.

Snowblowers only so we charge a premium and sell people on the advantages of hand vs plow.

We charge $750 - $1000 for a regular size driveway depending on distance, demands, etc.

I had a larger driveway last year in Orangeville, 200 x 20 ft, was $750 a month.

This year our prices are going up, that $400 per season guy won't last long, they are the ones who won't get out of their truck or return after a client has been snowed in again..

$150 per month minimum in my eyes. And that's even cheap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.