Snow Plowing Forum banner

Snow Foils

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nsmilligan 
#1 ·
When snow is light it blows easily what do you use to keep snow off your windshield?

Do you use a rubber snow defelector?
A Snow Foil?
Or something else i don't know of

I use rubber snow defelectors on all trucks, with the exception of some of the diamond blades.

I like the rubber because it keeps snow down and doesn't hamper stacking ability. I have a diamond snow foil on one of my 9' diamond's. That truck was my private road truck until this year when we got the 650. The diamond foil folds up so it doesn't effect stacking. I used a fisher foil a long time ago, but didn't like it because it wouldn't stack as well.

Geoff

#2 ·
Geoff,

I have a Fisher foil. Works well for long fast push. Almost impossible to blow snow over the top.

Downside...like you said, it makes stacking more difficult. Can't push snow as high due to rollover.
Luckily the past couple of season's I haven't run out of space to stack, this due to small storms....

Dave

#3 ·
Ive got the metal curved deflector on my Fisher (sno-foil?) I have no trouble stacking with it, two drawbacks first you cant get as close to back drag second you have to carry the plow very low since the extra height blocks airflow to the engine, on the plus side it completely eliminates blowing snow on the windshield, but if I had to do over Id get the rubber one.

Bill

#4 ·
We use all rubber deflectors. Good source is converor material from gravel processors. they usually throw the old converor material out, and will be happy to give you some.
For anyone that has overheating problems, and doesnt have a foil or deflector, try one out. It keeps the air from being blown over the hood on the truck and forces more air into the grill area.
Dino

----------
Professional Ice and Snow Management
Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

#6 ·
gee i wonder if a foil would have helped my 88 gmc 1500 with a 9' fisher blade? That thing always would overheat, i can't understand why? I beat the crap out of that truck and in 92 traded it in. That thing would sit at one parking lot, and plow all night long.

Geoff

#7 ·
I THREW MY FISHER FOILS AWAY ON MY STRAIGHT BLADE BECAUSE IT HAMPERED STACKING, ALSO IN HEAVY SNOW WOULD LIFT THE BLADE AND IT REALLY LIMITED THE AMOUNT OF SNOW YOU COULD PUSH, IT ONLY WORKED IN LIGHT FUFFY SNOW ON LONG RUNS.
ALSO ON MY EZ-V I INSTALLED THE RUBBER DEFLECTOR, I FOUND THE SAME PROBLEM IN HEAVY SNOW WHEN INSTALLED AS FISHER RECOMMENDED IT WOUL CAUSE THE WHOLE PLOW TO LIFT. SOLUTION I TURNED THE ANGLE IRON MOUNTING BRACKETS UPSIDE DOWN, NOW THE RUBBER FOIL ACTS LIKE AN EXTENSION OF THE MOLD BOARD IN HEAVY SNOW, AND REALLY ALLOWS YOU TO PUSH A LOT MORE SNOW,IN LIGHT SNOW IN HANGS BY IT'S OWN WEIGHT A STOPS MOST OF THE BLOW OVER. TRY IT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.