Smoking policy

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
If I drug tested for weed I probably would have any employees.

Just for clarification I don't condone smoking weed at work
Co it's been legal for a few years and whizz quizzes are part of our pre-employemt physical along with background checks. We are taking another look at testing for weed since alot of company's in the medical industry we do work for have stopped. We would still drug test for other non legal drugs.
If we did random testing weed probably see aboot 30-40% of our employees let go from managment to janitors.
My stance is what you do outside of work is your bussiness and if it spills into work it's now my bussiness same as alcohol is handled.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Co it's been legal for a few years and whizz quizzes are part of our pre-employemt physical along with background checks. We are taking another look at testing for weed since alot of company's in the medical industry we do work for have stopped. We would still drug test for other non legal drugs.
If we did random testing weed probably see aboot 30-40% of our employees let go from managment to janitors.
My stance is what you do outside of work is your bussiness and if it spills into work it's now my bussiness same as alcohol is handled.
I agree. The problem with THC is it stays in your system for I believe 30 days.
You could probably do a blood test for alcohol the morning after someone tied one on and they'd be over the legal limit.
Drink Saturday night or even Sunday afternoon you're good on Monday.
Smoke some weed Saturday night, you're skrewed.
I guess testing for weed for a new employee makes a little sense. If you're out job hunting and you can't hold off until you get said job, you may have other problems.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
I agree. The problem with THC is it stays in your system for I believe 30 days.
You could probably do a blood test for alcohol the morning after someone tied one on and they'd be over the legal limit.
Drink Saturday night or even Sunday afternoon you're good on Monday.
Smoke some weed Saturday night, you're skrewed.
I guess testing for weed for a new employee makes a little sense. If you're out job hunting and you can't hold off until you get said job, you may have other problems.
I had a few guys that would get hammered every night and sometimes they would come in sweating booze. Couple times I told them to go to their vehicle to sleep it oof / sweat it oot and I always took their keys.
Had one get pulled over on the way to work , he drops his kid oof at day care on his way in. He blew .12, got hauled oof and his kid was taken by child services until his folks came in from Fla. Kids mom was oot of the picture and couldn't be found.

Every time I interview I tell the candidate we do background checks and there's a whizz quiz requirement for all new hires during the phone interview. I do this so they have a chance to bow oot if they have had issue with felonies or similar serious issue and give them time to study for the whizz quiz. Due the pre-employment requirements and several in person interviews 3-4 weeks can be used up. Recently made an offer to a guy, when I make an offer I always tell the candidate it would be wise to hold oof giving notice until after the background check and whizz quiz are back and they're good to go. He whizz dirty for weed and had given notice they say he got the offer. In this case the time from the phone interview to making him an offer was aboot 4wks which should be enough time to whizz clean and if not they can postpone the start date till they do. Looking back at this I decided if the guy couldn't study for a whizz quiz after he was told it's probably best he fail and couldn't be hired due to it.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
Had one get pulled over on the way to work , he drops his kid oof at day care on his way in. He blew .12, got hauled oof and his kid was taken by child services until his folks came in from Fla. Kids mom was oot of the picture and couldn't be found.
He blew a .12 driving his kids to school? Guess it really is always 5 o'clock somewhere.

1631790641534.jpeg

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
This was probably 10 yrs ago now… Hired a new guy in the spring, he came in and interviewed and was recently let out of prison and really pleaded with me that he needed this job and so on and so forth. Don’t remember what the prison time was for but it wasn’t drug related. At least that’s not what he wrote on the application. I always tried to give people a second chance within reason. Anyway, he’s one of these guys that’s full of s**t. Lots of stories that most you’re just not sure really happened or not. Not a landscaper for sure, and not working out real well. It’s fine, happened every spring with 50% of the new hires, as you’re picking from bottom of the labor market. So one morning he comes in and tells me he has a Dr.’s appointment at noon. I’m like ok…he asks if he can just take one of the trucks to the Dr. because it’s close to where we had been working the past few days(big car dealership we worked at for a few weeks every spring). I reluctantly said fine because it’s gonna screw me up if he drives his own car that morning. So when he comes back from the Dr. (after like 90 min!!)he parks the truck in a bizarre spot almost wedged between new cars. I’m like WTF are you doing?? He gets out of the truck and is dazed and slow responding and slow talking. Turns out he drove my company truck to the Methadone Clinic! Well that was it for me…just too much all in one day. I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with that kind of stuff anymore.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
This was probably 10 yrs ago now… Hired a new guy in the spring, he came in and interviewed and was recently let out of prison and really pleaded with me that he needed this job and so on and so forth. Don’t remember what the prison time was for but it wasn’t drug related. At least that’s not what he wrote on the application. I always tried to give people a second chance within reason. Anyway, he’s one of these guys that’s full of s**t. Lots of stories that most you’re just not sure really happened or not. Not a landscaper for sure, and not working out real well. It’s fine, happened every spring with 50% of the new hires, as you’re picking from bottom of the labor market. So one morning he comes in and tells me he has a Dr.’s appointment at noon. I’m like ok…he asks if he can just take one of the trucks to the Dr. because it’s close to where we had been working the past few days(big car dealership we worked at for a few weeks every spring). I reluctantly said fine because it’s gonna screw me up if he drives his own car that morning. So when he comes back from the Dr. (after like 90 min!!)he parks the truck in a bizarre spot almost wedged between new cars. I’m like WTF are you doing?? He gets out of the truck and is dazed and slow responding and slow talking. Turns out he drove my company truck to the Methadone Clinic! Well that was it for me…just too much all in one day. I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with that kind of stuff anymore.
At least he didn't have scoliosis...

Top Forums