Smoking policy

jomama45

2000 Club Member
There could be worse things under the concrete. Especially in detoilet, or Chicago.

I could generally care less about ciggy butts under concrete, but they have a tendency to float to the top of the concrete.

We poured an addition on a stamped patio at a high end wedding venue this spring (it's now like 3000 sq. feet of stamped patio). My retired (former competitor) neighbor was running the concrete buggy for us when we poured, and I just happened to notice he snuffed a butt out into the buggy when I was walking by. Didn't think anything about it until the next day when I went to power wash the release off of the slab and found a ciggy butt just under the surface, leaving a big void in the surface. My neighbor is extremely picky, and would have lost his mind on his employees if it was his job back in the day, but I just let it slide and never told him because it wasn't very complex to repair. As Marcia said, it's hard to find good employee's, it's clearly impossible to find perfect employees. And, if by some miracle, you find the perfect employee, they're bound to leave and become your competition in the near future.........

plow4beer

PlowSite.com Addict
while I don’t like the way cigs stink things up, I don’t let them bother me that much….especially if we’re talking about decent workers…..but there’s absolutely no smoking in the trucks/equipment, or office building. I let them smoke in our main shop, and of course on jobs. For the most part, employees have always been decent about disposing of butts properly, but I remind them regularly. What bothers me the most, is one of the guys is a chain smoker, along with his wife, and he will leave a truck smelling like cigs on occasion….without even lighting one up :puke::mad:

GMC Driver

PlowSite.com Addict
No Smoking policy from our employee handbook:

• The following SMOKING policy is in effect at Lakeside Landscape: Smoking in the shop is not permitted. Smoking in the truck is not permissible by Ontario law (commercial vehicle). Smoking on the work site is not permitted. There is to be no smoking when children are present. Please be courteous and conscientious to not smoke in the presence of clients, and leave work areas & vehicles free of smoking debris. Smoking is to be relegated to designated smoking areas only.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
so, you can't smoke at the shop, you can't smoke in the truck on the way to the jobsite, you can't smoke at the jobsite. But beyond that, go for it. Unless kids or clients are around.

That's a lot of words to say "NO SMOKING"

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
No smoking/chewing

I don’t pay you to smoke , I pay you to work

Smoke on your own time.
Smoke in one of my trucks
You can come in on fri and pick up your check..

I don’t care…I’m not your mom.

ps
At the ski hill when we got new snow-cats they went to the non-smokers first, smokers how to drive the old machines.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
So mulch anger
Mind if I come to your home after work all sweaty and stinky , sit down in your new leather couch light up the few bongs of the devils lettuce and spill my beer and the bong???

Someone’s personal drug addiction is not my concern.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
I think it's time for you to hit the stream for a little r and r
Stage I fire restrictions
Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
799C0FFE-D2BD-4010-A473-87595DE7B548.jpeg

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
I didn’t allow smoking at the shop, in the trucks or skids, or during work time. They could smoke on breaks and at lunch. 15 min break morning and same late afternoon.
Same applied to sunflower seeds!!

Top Forums