• Vaccine Priority For Essential Snow & Ice Workers?
    Concerned about COVID-19 and/or potential labor shortages? Click here for a letter to health departments from SIMA emphasizing your priority for the COVID vaccine as an "essential" worker.

Slow angling, bypassing?

Ydebut1009

Hello,
I’m new to the forum. I had a look around and couldn’t find anything exactly same as my issue.
I picked up a used plow, parts and pieces everywhere.Before I done anything I pressure tested the unit, went and held pressure C3 at 2500psi.Perfect. The solenoids wouldn’t operate except for “D”. So I stripped it all down, cleaned it up, put it back together and every valve works with a good click clack. I also done the PO check valve and the two cross checks.
I nowhave everything rigged up, looks good, everything operates. BUT when angling it is slow. It moves but it’s slow. I’m able to push it with my body weight both ways. If I put all the weight on the concrete fooor it will not move, I can see the cylinders pressure up but nothing happens, seems to be bypassing.
I removed the cross checks again checked it out looks good, took what I couldout of thePO check, looks good and reinstalled. It seemed to work better after I done this but at the same time it’s still not right. I’m thinking now “A” valve problems but then again it doesn’t make sense to me. Any advise or suggestions would be great!

Thanks

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

I believe that is a different unit, mine doesn’t have adjustment screws.
only adjustment mine would have is on the inside directly on the valve itself.
Plus my up and down works perfectly fine.

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

That was my first guess when I first hooked it all up. Now that you have mentioned it I will bleed and cycle it all again. But i did pressure it up and crack open the fittings in till all the air was out...

racer47

crack fittings i side at a time .right side crack hit right tighten up angel all way to left crack hit switch then work a little see if it helps

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

Yes but wouldn’t hurt to do it again. You may be right. Don’t matter what pump it is, air is air.
I payed 300 bucks for the whole setup, I mean if this is the only issue I have then I’ll live with it lol, but still wouldn’t hurt to try and work it out.

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

Air is not the problem.
I bled them 3 times tonight. Just fluid. Angled to the extremes and vice versa.
Right now, my left cylinder gauge is showing 500 psi. I’m able to push the plow both ways. It’s not easy but I’m able to.
Must be the crossover reliefs right?

TJS

PlowSite.com Addict
You should be able to increase the pressure by turning in the cross over relief adjustment screws/caps in. Or you have a broken spring or a missing or a ball that is not seating.

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

I removed them the other night, checked everything, found the drawing online and made sure. Put it back together. Nothing changed. Last night I tapped one with a hammer to “seat” it as the manual says and turned it up to what looks to me max. I do have a gauge, went to 1500 I believe. It was harder to move, and seemed to move a touch better.

still can’t move it while the weight is on the floor

TJS

PlowSite.com Addict
On my Fenner I put an upgraded cross over relief set up in it where it is basically just stiffer springs. Tightening those slotted screws gets very hard to do with a regular flatblade screw driver. I made a tool which is just a cut off flat blade about six inches long. Then I found a broken 3/8" socket drive extension, cleaned it up so it was just the square 3/8 drive part and welded on the 6" flat blade screw driver. This allows me to get more torque on those slotted screws as the spring inside is compressing. I have my reliefs set at 2500psi.

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

Here’s a drawing of mine, the housing is a 3/4” wrench, there’s an 11/16 locknut and Allen screw for tensioning the spring. I have that screw maxed out lol.

I disconnected the hoses to make sure on the pressure, 1500 was it.

I already know my main relief is good for 2500psi.

Attachments

TJS

PlowSite.com Addict
So Pressure is force and volume is speed. You vid shows like you do not have either for angle. However the up seems OK. Have you taken the reservoir off this thing and checked the screen and cleaned everything up with new fluid. While you are at it, take the gear pump off and inspect it. It should spit apart and you should be able to see the gears. Make sure no large wear signs. I am still thinking you have the actual valves not closing all the way. Take those off too and clean the pintle area and command them on with a 12v source with the magnetic coils hooked up. You should see slight movement in/out.

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

Hey TJS,

I stripped the whole thing down. Cleaned pretty much everything. The pump went to 2500 from the start so I didn’t have a look inside the actual pump housing.
I did however remove and clean every piece of the valve body. Reason being it only sounded like only one valve was strong. After I cleaned everything I tried them one by one and all was good.

Attachments

OP
Ydebut1009

Ydebut1009

So I messed around with it again tonight. On all solenoids I’m showing 11.8-12 amps.(vehicle is not running, motor is disconnected) I’m showing around 12 amps, the only difference in anything is resistance. I have around 7 on “A” “B” and “C” valves but only 3.5 on “D”.
I have a gauge on C1 port which is angle “Left”. When I raise up, the gauge on angling left raises as well. The only way I can dump the pressure on c1 port for angling is to manually trigger the “A” solenoid.
I think I have multiple small issues with the pump. It is functioning, so I think I will leave it as is.
I could start throwing money at it, replacing valves and what not but I think by the time I get it right I’ll be in as much as a new pump would cost. Hopefully I get this year out of it regardless.

I backed off both cross reliefs, ran the pump 10-20 seconds each way. Then began tightening again, the plow now goes a little quicker but again I am able to push it each way.