Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years of on and off leaks the dam finally broke ! 6 hrs just to get to carriage. Got it all unbolted and lines off. Does anybody know why I can wiggle it around but it won't come out ? Wanted to get it off over weekend so I could bring it in to have the output shaft seal replaced. Are there dowel pins of some sort to align it and keep the torque off the 8 bolts ? Was thinking of putting a jack under the house and try to push it up. Don't want to damage it. Worst case is I hit bobcat in am and ask them.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Hood

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Call your BC mechanic, because jacking the house doesn’t seem right....but honestly I don’t remember, it was a few yrs back when we had to replace the slew/swivel joint on our last mini, and to be honest I opted to pay a BC mechanic to do it, while I disposed of all the beer in the shop

· Registered
7,844 Posts
Not sure if this is true or not, but we were told that the house has to be split in order to remove the swing gear... Hence why ours 331 still leaks as well. Can get a hold of my Bobcat mechanic Monday and verify if you need.
That sounds about right. They'd make you split the machine in half to get a gearbox out. Like changing an o ring in the steering cylinders on a Toolcat, you have to remove the whole axle and split it in half.

· Registered
335 Posts
Call your BC mechanic, because jacking the house doesn't seem right....but honestly I don't remember, it was a few yrs back when we had to replace the slew/swivel joint on our last mini, and to be honest I opted to pay a BC mechanic to do it, while I disposed of all the beer in the shop
We were quoted around 12K to split the house, hence it still leaks and have to crawl under to grease the slew bearing, instead of using the stupid extension hose out front. When the time comes, we will do it in house since we now have more than one machine and can afford the downtime. Lots of hoses to label....

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll stop by bobcat in the morning before I head to shop to continue the battle. The motor/carrier comes out without splitting the machine in half. Should lift right out ,but it doesn't lol. Watched some youtube vids but they didn't mention my issue with it being loose but its reluctance to just pop out into my lap. If we had some snow this year I would have just dropped it off, I'm trying to be economical.(cheap)

· Registered
1,522 Posts
We were quoted around 12K to split the house, hence it still leaks and have to crawl under to grease the slew bearing, instead of using the stupid extension hose out front. When the time comes, we will do it in house since we now have more than one machine and can afford the downtime. Lots of hoses to label....
Interesting.....granted the machine we had the swivel joint replaced on was smaller than your 331, BC only charged me a couple G's (parts & labor...and I'll have to look, but I think it may have been just under $2k??)....i have to call out there tomorrow for some filters/etc, so I'm going to ask my mechanic what they charge for this job to be done on a 331. $12k seems excessive.?...idk, maybe I'm just speshull

Thanks, I'll stop by bobcat in the morning before I head to shop to continue the battle. The motor/carrier comes out without splitting the machine in half. Should lift right out ,but it doesn't lol. Watched some youtube vids but they didn't mention my issue with it being loose but its reluctance to just pop out into my lap. If we had some snow this year I would have just dropped it off, I'm trying to be economical.(cheap)
Thumbs Up
If your dealer/mechanics there are anything like mine, they are more than happy to take the time to help you fix stuff on your own....granted you buy machines/parts/etc from them.

· Registered
7,844 Posts
Thumbs Up
If your dealer/mechanics there are anything like mine, they are more than happy to take the time to help you fix stuff on your own....granted you buy machines/parts/etc from them.
Same here. My Bobcat dealer has given me thousands of dollars in free help. Giving me copies of shop manuals, explaining things that don't make sense unless you've been there, shortcuts.

But they're also the place my machines go if we don't have time, or it's out of our wheelhouse on the repairs.

Until they give me a reason to look at other brands, I won't.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thumbs Up
I'm always asking questions.They will print out the info from there data base with all the schematics. A shop repair manual is 125$ I guess it would be well worth it. The only problem I have is the turnaround is slow.They put an engine in one of my skids,repaired the "creeping machine issue"of another skid and repaired other issues over the years. I bought the excavator from them so I have a good relationship with them. I've got to get my butt off this couch and head over !

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Talked to my mechanic, and what we did yrs back was different...your right, he said 10-12k...ouch

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got it off, there were 2 dowel pins,just jacked it up and it came free, heavy sucker,gotta be 80 lbs or more.bobcat acted like they didn't want to repair,said the last one they did 4 yrs ago had to be sent out to have shaft pressed of of bearings,didn't exactly inspire confidence.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Bumper Automotive wheel system

· Registered
1,522 Posts
10-12k to split it...that's almost half what the machine is worth!
Complete job (labor/materials), for what I'm gathering is being described in this thread.
And yes, My mechanic said to me, if I was looking at buying a used machine (of that model/yrs) that needed that repaired, to stay away....it wouldn't be worth the beer money.
Only way he made it sound feasable, is if you already own the machine and have the means/time to fix it yourself, otherwise offload it.

· Registered
7,844 Posts
Complete job (labor/materials), for what I'm gathering is being described in this thread.
And yes, My mechanic said to me, if I was looking at buying a used machine (of that model/yrs) that needed that repaired, to stay away....it wouldn't be worth the beer money.
Only way he made it sound feasable, is if you already own the machine and have the means/time to fix it yourself, otherwise offload it.
Did they give you a number of labor hours to split it and put it back together? I don't own one or have the need/desire to own one but just curious.

· Registered
335 Posts
got it off, there were 2 dowel pins,just jacked it up and it came free, heavy sucker,gotta be 80 lbs or more.bobcat acted like they didn't want to repair,said the last one they did 4 yrs ago had to be sent out to have shaft pressed of of bearings,didn't exactly inspire confidence. View attachment 190866
See if they can get you a BC Reman, usually cheaper than rebuidling. At least on final drives it is, found this out the hard way thanks to the dealer.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See if they can get you a BC Reman, usually cheaper than rebuidling. At least on final drives it is, found this out the hard way thanks to the dealer.
The motor and all the bearings in carrier are in perfect shape, its just the one seal at the output shaft that is leaking. When they split it open they will just replace the soft parts. I actually had the parts, found them and receipt dated 12/21/2003 -155$ ! It was a minor intermittent leak for the last 7 years or so. I ended up dropping it off at a shop that does the work that bobcat can't handle inhouse. They said that bobcat is a very good customer.

· Registered
335 Posts
The motor and all the bearings in carrier are in perfect shape, its just the one seal at the output shaft that is leaking. When they split it open they will just replace the soft parts. I actually had the parts, found them and receipt dated 12/21/2003 -155$ ! It was a minor intermittent leak for the last 7 years or so. I ended up dropping it off at a shop that does the work that bobcat can't handle inhouse. They said that bobcat is a very good customer.
No reason to get in a hurry...hopefully the new seals aren't dried out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.