Snow Plowing Forum banner

Skidsteer traction problem

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  paul 
#1 ·
On the last snowfall our skidsteer couldn't keep traction, more than enough power tires just spun, we are using a rubber cutting edge, seems to glaze over drives, seems like site has a lot of ice, could this be causing the problem? Any sugestions, they won't go for salting I know that.

#2 ·
I think that is common with skid steers,I have run them and they just dont have the traction,I think its lack of weight more than anything,like you said,plenty of power.Ever think of a set of chains on the rear only?I wonder if it would teat up bad when turning.Are you using a pusher or a blade? how big is it and how heavy is the machine?

#4 ·
Can't use chains, will tear up drives, thought about rubber tracks, don't really want to spend the money, normally woks fine. Next time probally should switch from the 8' blade to 74" bucket. That may solove problem.

#5 ·
Rubber might be making it drag,but if it was icy,the rubber should have slid right over the ice-if it was blacktop it was on,the tires should have gotten traction.I bet the urethane edge would do the trick.

#9 ·
Sounds a lot like pushiing an 8ft blade with an S10,at 4000 lbs is about what my S10 weighs,im at 4300 average weight

#10 ·
my drove my buddies skidsteer the other day for the first time ive driven one. I dont no if they all the same way but this one (mustang) was extremly unresponsive! He said it operates exactly like a lazer.. so i thoiught no problem. I got in it and pulled the left bar all the way back to make a left turn and it barly moves to the left... not only that but it was bouncing so much i thought i was doing something wrong... he said that just how they operate and it takes a little getting used to!

#11 ·
We tried making half passes that day, no go, I know the plow is a liitle large for the machine, in 3" snowfall it's perfect, this was 6-8" but even with half passes it couldn't push it, just spun tires, I know weight is around 5000 lbs, roughly same as my truck. Guess next time well try bucket if in this situtation.

#12 ·
I have a new 773 Bobcat and just about finished up plowing today from this last storm, in two days I put just a tick under 30HRS on it, I was wanting to know what kind of plow you have for your Bobcat and if there is a web site for them do you happen to remeber your cost. After seeing my edge on the bucket wear down so quick I'am also going to talk to Dino about a urethane edge. Thanks

#13 ·
We have edges in trials right now for skid steers. Call me at 860-859-0739 if you would like to participate. The price will be right. Mike what type of plow do you have on that machine. From what I understand the plows for skid steers angle to a steeper angle to offset the lack of traction. If you have a truck plow on the unit, that may contribute the the pushing probelm. I doint knowif urethane will help or not, but it will help eleviate the ice over issue.
Dino

#14 ·
Mike, a friend with a 8N Ford tractor had the same problem.
Mount a 55Gal drum on each side of the rear of your skid-steer. Fill with sand to the best point you get traction. It may take 45min of welding, but one you fit the brackets, you will get the traction. Way out West here in Oregon, we do a LOT of field expedience.....by the way, was enjoying the other posts.....as Chuck says, "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!" ......Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.