1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Push Box Size

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by CptCanuck, Aug 6, 2017.

1. CptCanuck

CptCanuck Junior Member

Just looking for some advice for purchasing a box pusher for my skidsteer. I have a cat 246b (7100lbs). I have mostly used it for pulling parking stalls/small areas for the bigger loaders but it looks like some medium/smaller lots might come through this year that are a pain to do with the larger loaders.
    I live in the great white north and snowfalls here reach between 250 and 300 canadian units (100+ inches), and we get everythimg from sloppy wet snow to powder.
    My main concerns are how big can I comfortably go? We get lots of freezing rain early and late season so metal edge seems the way to go. Anyways any thoughts on yours guys experiences would be great.

Thanks

shawn_ likes this.
  2. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

No more than 10 ft I would think. Don't buy a rubber edge to much traction loss IMO, artic, mp, at least a boss, I don't mind a rubber edge on the big loaders not my choice but will work.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

I agree with Fred.

I would say a 8ft on a rubber edge. 10ft on a sectional

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Veteran

Plowmax...

BUFF and John_DeereGreen like this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure 100" justifies the price of a PlowMaxx. Especially with a LiveEdge.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    BUFF and Defcon 5 like this.
  6. CptCanuck

CptCanuck Junior Member

Thanks for the responses, found a guy selling 2 protech pushers 8foot for 1200 bucks for both. They seem in decent shape (shoes, cutting edge, paint) cant figure out why so cheap or protech stuff junk?

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite Veteran

You'll find out why they're cheap once you push an event with them...scrape like ****.

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Pro tech is not junk but the concept rubber edge is terrible. I ran a rubber edge on my skidsteer one season and got rid of it. It eat up the hp very fast limiting the performance not to mention it would not scrape.

FredG likes this.
  9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite Veteran

Protech makes a fine pusher...If it was 15 years
    Ago

It's funny how most of the guys on here balk at the price of a Metal Pless or Arctic or HLA...They buy the cheapest pusher they can
    find and get the results to match...It's kinda like the NSPs shopping for the cheapest price on services and getting the results to match...

10. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

Your Right, I did it. Won't happen again. Frugal is one thing. But just buying cheap junk is just stupid, You would think a guy my age would have more sense. Stupid, Cheap or both.

11. CptCanuck

CptCanuck Junior Member

Good to know, I figured I would ask about them anyways. Figured they either fell off the back of a truck or were junk at that price. Ive still got a few months to hunt down a used one but worst case I figure I will bite the bullet and get a new one. I have a hla and mp dealer fairly close to me luckly enough.

12. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

Good for you.

13. Mark Oomkes

I have 2 ProTechs coming up on 20 years old. They are well built pushers, just old technology as others have pointed out.

Scraping\cleaning is very dependent and the result you are looking for. At 100" and being in the Great White North, I'm guessing bare pavement is not the end result you desire so a rubber edge pusher might be just fine for you.

FredG likes this.
  14. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

That's right protech are not junk and will work fine on the right machine. I was just bashing rubber edge on a skid. Maybe some skids are fine with rubber mine will not even with new soliddeal. I still plow with a pusher I built in my avatar, I neither look for blacktop showing because I don't have to, Just salt present.

15. Mark Oomkes

They do scrape hardpack like crap. There are other times they scrape as good or better than steel...wet and slushy, they act like a squeegee.

I just wanted to give the OP info from the other side of things. Do I prefer steel edged? Absolutely, but not everybody needs that. Areas that truly have winter don't demand bare pavement like areas that have small amounts of people that think snow can be controlled and the parking lot should look the same in January as July.

EDIT: the OP talks about a lot of freezing rain. Rubber edged pushers won't do squat with freezing rain. Sometimes nothing but a bucket with down pressure will do anything with freezing rain. Few years back I had my subs running together...one with a bucket breaking the bond and the other with a pusher cleaning up the ice sheets. I honestly don't think a steel edged pusher would have worked either.

FredG likes this.
  16. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

We are very proud of our rubber edge snow pushers. They are still the most widely used containment plows in the industry. That being said we also make a steel edge model that is rapidly growing in popularity. https://www.steelsnopusher.com/

17. Mark Oomkes

Need any testers?

18. Protech Inc.

Mark, the product has been around for several seasons and has been thoroughly tested. We have a dealer in Grand Rapids though if you need a quote. http://www.eblingandson.com/ Here's a customer speaking about the plow:

19. Mark Oomkes

I've been to Ebling once or twice.

I would have loved to test one. Will you be making a folding model? Could be a way to keep a long time customer....

20. Protech Inc.

We do have our Foldout model. However, it's rubber edged. We will keep you in mind if a steel edge model is in the works.