1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sweepyman, Sep 22, 2008.

  1. sweepyman

    sweepyman Junior Member
    Messages: 4

    I am welding together a mounting plate so I can use an old uni mount on my skid steer.
    My question:

    Do I need to use some kind of pressure reducing valve on the quick connects? I am concerned that the plow will slam left/right and blow a hose or worse.

    What kind of valve will work?

  2. cretebaby

    cretebaby PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,162

    yes you need a valve and you can get them at any farm equip place or like a Farm and Fleet
  3. JD Dave

    JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,194

    You need a pressure releif vavle, that will put your hydraulic pressure from one cylinder to the other one, if you hit something. It will also reduce line pressure, so Basher told me.
  4. rebelplow

    rebelplow Senior Member
    Messages: 147

    We've an old western plow hooked up to our Bobcat 873. At first we did it straight out of the high flow connectors to the plow. Smacked back and forth. We ended up going to the bobcat dealer and getting 2 volume reducing fittings. The are place in the hydraulic line and the hole inside for fluid to pass thru is only like 1/16th of an inch so it slowed it down quite a bit. Everytime I went somewhere to find a valve like everyone talks about I came up empty handed. The only thing they could get me was a proportioning valve that cost about 100 bucks. I'll take the $10 for a pair fittings.
  5. cretebaby

    cretebaby PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,162

    you should still have a cross over pressure relief valve and yes the fittings are all you need to slow it down if you want it faster you can just drill the holes a little bigger
  6. basher

    basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707
    Messages: 8,993

  7. rebelplow

    rebelplow Senior Member
    Messages: 147

    Crete or Basher.... can you point me in the direction of the relief valve online somewhere? I searched and came up with nothin. A picture, or a place that has a description, or a place where I can buy one would be superb. I don't feel like wrecking the plow this year.
  8. cretebaby

    cretebaby PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,162

    i will get back to you tomorrrow
  9. rebelplow

    rebelplow Senior Member
    Messages: 147

    good deal... thanks
  10. xtreem3d

    xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,548

  11. cretebaby

    cretebaby PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,162

    rebel, sorry i dont have a link but you can get the cross over pressure relief from FORCE AMERICA and it should be $125-140 let me know if you need help getting one
  12. rebelplow

    rebelplow Senior Member
    Messages: 147

    Thanks crete and xtreem. I always wondered what part I needed, and that answers my questions. woohoo!~
  13. ServiceOnSite

    ServiceOnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 950

    starting the same project next week with an old fisher blade 8'. didnt even know about the crossover valve or the reducing down for the pressure. man am i glad i found this postpurplebou