Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Looking for your recommendations/advice on a single stage snow thrower for clearing sidewalks. Something lighter then a snowblower for ease of getting on and off a truck. Thank you in advance. There are a lot to choose from so I was just looking for your experiences. Thanks again

· Registered
6,080 Posts
Leigh, those 4 strokes are heavier and slightly bulkier than the 2-strokes. Quieter though. Add in oil changes and they are higher maintenance too. Great machines though. I wasn’t a fan of the switch, but I guess they were pressured to?

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Leigh, those 4 strokes are heavier and slightly bulkier than the 2-strokes. Quieter though. Add in oil changes and they are higher maintenance too. Great machines though. I wasn't a fan of the switch, but I guess they were pressured to?
Little over 80lbs.I can lift it out of pickup no problem. I have the sidewalk crew load them with a person on each side so they don't bang them or truck up. I don't mind the oil change in place of 2 stroke oil. They also run quieter and seem to have that 4 stroke lower rpm power. They seem to start much easier but they are still fairly new.Run smoother without that surging that the 2 stroked had. And the bottom line was stated by aerospace, emissions dictated motor choice. Just put the Kage blue paddles on but haven't got a storm yet to see how they work ,had an inch of slush,we just shoveled it.I just wish I could get the guys to operate them like any piece of equipment, finesse and good strategy ,but that's a whole other rant!

· Registered
305 Posts
I have 2 toro's and they are great but picked up one of the new Ariens commercials and may even be better. I think it a tad heavier duty than the toro's. Sliding it up the the tailgate is pretty cool.

· Registered
6,080 Posts
Little over 80lbs.I can lift it out of pickup no problem. I have the sidewalk crew load them with a person on each side so they don't bang them or truck up. I don't mind the oil change in place of 2 stroke oil. They also run quieter and seem to have that 4 stroke lower rpm power. They seem to start much easier but they are still fairly new.Run smoother without that surging that the 2 stroked had. And the bottom line was stated by aerospace, emissions dictated motor choice. Just put the Kage blue paddles on but haven't got a storm yet to see how they work ,had an inch of slush,we just shoveled it.I just wish I could get the guys to operate them like any piece of equipment, finesse and good strategy ,but that's a whole other rant!
We used to have 12-15 of them at any given time. Glad I didn't have to change oil on that many. I believe they are close to 8 lbs or 10 lbs heavier. I used to lift mine In and out of the truck at every account so lifting it 45 times per round of plowing. That adds up over time to a lot of lifting.

· Registered
6,080 Posts
I have 2 toro's and they are great but picked up one of the new Ariens commercials and may even be better. I think it a tad heavier duty than the toro's. Sliding it up the the tailgate is pretty cool.
Just watched a vid of yours...clever how it slides up the tailgate. I don't care for the angle of the handle though.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
We used to have 12-15 of them at any given time. Glad I didn't have to change oil on that many. I believe they are close to 8 lbs or 10 lbs heavier. I used to lift mine In and out of the truck at every account so lifting it 45 times per round of plowing. That adds up over time to a lot of lifting.
I'm in my dump with plow/sander so I avoid having to lift them,I put sidewalk crew in the other trucks and rarely ever see them!I've got 5 of the toro's and we put them up on benches and line them up to change oil.I think it took one of my guys 1/2 an hour.Have to be careful with the oilfill dipstick/plug , the threads are tough to line up, and they're plastic so its easy to strip them out.And your right,checked weight 83lbs for the plain 721 and 88 lbs for the 721 qze and that's probably dry weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.