1. Perfectturflawnservices

Perfectturflawnservices Junior Member

Has anyone taken the sima courses ?
    If so was it helpful ? if not why ?
    Thank you

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

The CSP course?
    Ya there’s a bunch of people that have taken it.
    There’s also a bunch of people that have taken ASCA courses

can’t say I’ve ever won a bid because of being a member of either

3. OP
    OP
    Perfectturflawnservices

Appreciate the honesty

4. BossPlow2010

Let me clarify, I’ve been member of both.
    Currently a member of sima. Both have valuable resources to use to run and operate a snow business.
    One of them pushes legislation (asca)
    When I say I haven’t won a bid being a member.
    I mean directly saying I’m a member of such and such group, or putting their symbol on my bids, most people that aren’t in snow and ice mgmt, have never heard of either organization

5. OP
    OP
    Perfectturflawnservices

I understand that , being in the snow and ice buisness as a plower my employer has never heard of sima neither have I until I recently
    Joined this site , as a new business owner I’m always looking into ways to make my buisness better or be more efficient and I also could use the help on bidding etc for snow so I figured get some reviews before I dish out the cash

6. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite.com Addict
    from 406

Have you tried DOT #’s
    Make you look very professionaler.

I can see the pluses and minuses of being accredited in this industry.

Would I go threw it,probably not.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I believe the mantra with any of these Associations is " You get out what you put in"
    When you are just starting out they help you with education about marketing , budgeting, regulations , work life balance etc. If you built your business are cynical, close minded and introverted, they probably aren't for you.

8. OP
    OP
    Perfectturflawnservices

im very open minded and always looking for new information and ways to better myself as well as my buisness and give my clients the best I can offer but so far I probably will just pull the trigger on it and try it out it can’t hurt to learn . I watched one of there videos explaining site plans etc and that was informative , like I said just starting out haha have pushed snow for 9 years but never was exposed to the technical end so I have a lot to learn before I jump into it . Looking at next year adding snow to my list of added services

9. Luther

Luther PlowSite Veteran

You will benefit from both associations in gaining education, certification and good networking opportunity’s.

10. BossPlow2010

I left asca to pursue my csp and when I ran into someone at MGIA, they looked at me like had 3 heads when I told them that.

11. Luther

Luther PlowSite Veteran

I think the OP has a good attitude and can certainly benefit from both associations. Some people can’t. It’s not a requirement. It doesn’t hurt you though.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

2 out of 3 ain't bad...

13. OP
    OP
    Perfectturflawnservices

Well sounds like it can’t hurt so I will give it a shot thanks for all your input