Sidewalk snow removal Bid Help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TeamTate, Oct 8, 2019 at 3:32 PM.

1. TeamTate

TeamTate Junior Member

Hello there! I have the opportunity to bid on a city sidewalk snow removal contract. The linear footage is pretty vast: the smallest contract is 17,974ft (3.4 miles) the largest is 46,179ft.(8.79 miles) I'm not sure how to quote such a large area. I was thinking between $0.07 to $0.15. Do you guys think I'm way off or pretty spot on? Any info will be helpful, thank you!

2. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

Are those prices per occurrence? Per season?

3. m_ice

Also, alot of other variables missing

Location, snowfall, type of snow, job specs, equipment available, equipment restrictions, etc.....

4. OP
    OP
    TeamTate

TeamTate Junior Member

Thank you for your response
    Locations are throughout my entire county, broken down into 4 separate quadrants: NE NW SE SW
    Snow amounts: 0-6in 6-12in & 12 and up
    We will provide our own equipment, snow blowers, 4ft snow plows and shovels if needed.
    These prices are per occurrence.

5. m_ice

To be competitive your going to have a dedicated machine set up to do walks like a sub compact tractor or the likes. It's like municipal mowing...you have to run big mowers alot of hours to make it work.
    I'd want a kubota bx series with blade, broom, and blower; and a drop spreader if salt is required.

6. OP
    OP
    TeamTate

TeamTate Junior Member

Thank you, I agree with you as far as the type of equipment that is required to complete this job. However, what do you think about the bidding price?

7. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite.com Addict
    from 406

If a guy came to you with said equipment ,
    Willing to be a subb

What would you be willing to pay?

m_ice likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    TeamTate

TeamTate Junior Member

$30 - 40 an hour

9. m_ice

Earlier I missed the part were you said entire county in 4 quadrants...which to me means it's probably not a countinuous run of sidewalks and you will be trailering equipment unless you have a SLT style truck.

10. OP
    OP
    TeamTate

TeamTate Junior Member

Exactly, we have a trailer, but there will definitely a lot of loading and unloading for sure. One quadrant has 38 stops on the list.

11. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Municipalities typically are bid with hourly rates per equipment.

I have seen some school offerings/bids with toolcats, tractors, trackless etc in my area for $75-125+ hour.

These machines clear at 5-15mph.

12. Hamster360

Hamster360 Member

Realistically no one can help you bid this unless you post a copy of the contract/bid specs. If it was a continuous stretch of sidewalks it would be easier, but at 38 stops, too many variables.

I do have to say that if you're only willing to pay some 30-40$ an hour who has a 15k compact tractor with 10k worth of attachments, don't bid this job. You're going to underbid it so bad you'll lose your shirt.

cjames808 likes this.
  13. RevelationL&S

RevelationL&S Junior Member

When I was in the oil field we fueled frac sites. I learned a lot about business doing the paperwork while in the field.

It is a good idea to bid per hour. Figure out what itll cost: man hours, equip, fuel, goofin around, and lunch, then figure out how to divide those costs into an hourly rate.

Now, make a chart and stick to it. Estimate how long it will take and thats the price you bid them. X amount per occurance or whatevs per season at whatevs trigger.

Estimate the time it will take and add about 15% if youve never done a job like that before and pray its worth your time still. It can easily turn into a nightmare if you are a glass half empty dude, or a learning experience if you've got some sense. Working for the governement might try to turn ya if you know what I mean.