• SnowCare For Troops Expands To Include Healthcare Workers
    Project EverGreen expands its SnowCare for Troops program to help healthcare professionals. Volunteers from the snow and landscape industries can provide snow and ice removal services to nominated healthcare heroes. Click here to read more.

Sidewalk Machine- brush VS plow and brine post treat

Gr8WhiteNorth

my initial thought was that I can get away with a plow for sidewalks if I post treat with brine. We currently get best results with the brush. When using a plow alone, it leaves a bit of snow behind

The site is a large shopping center and we also have to do the fire lane.

the brush is painfully slow

im using a Kubota RTV and have a liquid setup in the box already

thoughts?

tpendagast

Sounds like an SSV is too small, but ours works amazing on small, tight areas.

We treat with a mix of liquids and granular and have had fantastic results.
Do you have issues with employees over applying
Curious about how you train
Some guys get it
Other guys ... I dunno , they’re either building sand castles or trying to spread a single bag across Kansas
A wee bit frustrating

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Do you have issues with employees over applying
Curious about how you train
Some guys get it
Other guys ... I dunno , they’re either building sand castles or trying to spread a single bag across Kansas
A wee bit frustrating
The nice thing about the SSV is it is almost impossible to over apply.

The worst thing about an SSV is you can't over apply.

tpendagast

The nice thing about the SSV is it is almost impossible to over apply.

The worst thing about an SSV is you can't over apply.
Do you bring it to fight club with you?

I don’t have one , do you have to calibrate it like a fertilizer spreader?

you could just go over the same area more than once

does it apply based on your ground speed? Meaning if you go slow it puts down less product?

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
First rule of fight club: don't talk about fight club.

The pressure can be adjusted on the brine sprayer.

Granular control has a dial.

Between the two, we get great results...but in continuing snowfall such as lake effect events it would be nice if we could go heavier in one pass on the granular.

So yes, we just make 2 passes if necessary.

I'll admit we don't calibrate our sidewalk equipment. We do use quite a bit less granular with the drop spreader on the SSV vs the ZPlow broadcast spreader.

We also use liquids in conjunction with granular on the ZPlow.

tpendagast

First rule of fight club: don't talk about fight club.

The pressure can be adjusted on the brine sprayer.

Granular control has a dial.

Between the two, we get great results...but in continuing snowfall such as lake effect events it would be nice if we could go heavier in one pass on the granular.

So yes, we just make 2 passes if necessary.

I'll admit we don't calibrate our sidewalk equipment. We do use quite a bit less granular with the drop spreader on the SSV vs the ZPlow broadcast spreader.

We also use liquids in conjunction with granular on the ZPlow.
The general rule of thumb says all contractors over apply because we don’t have equipment that is calibrated to spread material lightly enough for say under 300 pounds per acre...

how much do you think/observe you’re putting down (ish) with the ssv?

is there enough savings in not putting down excess material to talk about? Or negligible?

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
Do you get enough spreading around from foot traffic when using drop spreaders that are narrower than the sidewalks?
Depending on conditions most of the time you get bleed... I tell them keep toward the outside curb and let it bleed toward the grass if anything this way it doesn't burn...

I posted this I think last year was 100lbs at like 1400' x 36" so might get 12,000sq ft at 300lbs. I think that was at 1/2 motor speed on the spreader too...

IMG_20191108_121237.jpg