Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01' ram 2500 with a v10. Currently 165000 miles. I bought it 4 years ago with a boss v plow and boss tailgate spreader. It's basically a dedicated plow truck. Only had about 2 plowable storms the first 3 years I owned it. We've had 4 or 5 this year. Paid 10k cash for it, but still haven't completely made my money back due to lack of snow.

Now the transmission went out at the end of the last storm! Looking at close to another 3k to fix it. I don't know if it's worth it at this point to fix it, or just cut my losses and move on.

Looking for advice. Thanks

· Registered
7,366 Posts
If you're going to quit plowing snow, sell it.
If you want to keep plowing snow, fix it.

Reactions: Sawboy

· Registered
17,727 Posts
If it is a stock dodge transmission, I am shock it made it that long. Those automatics were notorious for not staying together.

If you choose to build it, you can make it strong like a Chevy transmission!

If you split the spreader and the plow up and sell them all on their own, can you get your money back then?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doubt it. The spreader is on its last leg. The frame is rusted through. I had planned to replace it next season.

I would probably be close to breaking even if I sold it all. But I hate to not have a plow rig. My biggest reservation about fixing the truck is having the motor go in the near future. Does anyone plow with a v10? If so, how many miles are these engines running for?

· Registered
256 Posts
Good time to upgrade to a 48RE. 03 ram V10 should have that in. V10 ram have the same trans as behind a Cummins. From 1994 to 2003 will be 47RE and 03 up 48RE until 2007.5

Check car-part.com there is many good use one with low millage.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol yea. It's been terrible. There is usually 4-8 plowable plowable events. With a few more just for salting.

But of course, the year a go and drop a bunch of cash on a plow truck we got a 3 year dry spell.

· Registered
7,929 Posts
I have an 01' ram 2500 with a v10. Currently 165000 miles. I bought it 4 years ago with a boss v plow and boss tailgate spreader. It's basically a dedicated plow truck. Only had about 2 plowable storms the first 3 years I owned it. We've had 4 or 5 this year. Paid 10k cash for it, but still haven't completely made my money back due to lack of snow.

Now the transmission went out at the end of the last storm! Looking at close to another 3k to fix it. I don't know if it's worth it at this point to fix it, or just cut my losses and move on.

Tough situation. Could you change the trany yourself if you bought a used one? If so, that might be the way to go.

NYH1.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been thinking about going this route. I would probably have mine rebuilt, or buy a factory reman.

Not 100% sure I can do it though. And the labor cost to do the job isn't too bad. It's the price of the transmission that's the killer

· Banned
13,098 Posts
Doubt it. The spreader is on its last leg. The frame is rusted through. I had planned to replace it next season.

I would probably be close to breaking even if I sold it all. But I hate to not have a plow rig. My biggest reservation about fixing the truck is having the motor go in the near future. Does anyone plow with a v10? If so, how many miles are these engines running for?
I'm not totally sure the miles would scare me if the truck runs good, when you say the frame is rusted you meaning like scale or actually rot? That would scare me more than anything else on the truck. The tranny all though expensive is a easy fix. If the frame is shot you got a junk truck pretty much.

I have fixed a lot of frames on my bigger dumps especially the double frames. Over the years the fabrication on the frames comes back to haunt you.

· Registered
760 Posts

Well you paid too much for the truck in the first place
But you're into it at this point
I'd say fix

· Registered
760 Posts

The v10 isn't the weak link on that truck
The tranny is

· Registered
77 Posts
Would it be better to have mine rebuilt, or by a reman?
If you know of a very reputable builder, I'd probably price them both out and find out which warranty suits you better. The few shops that I use around me will only warranty our transmissions that we have rebuilt for 90 days since they know they're going into plow trucks. That's usually enough time to bring out any issues that we (rarely have) had with them.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Are you subbing or trying to find your own work? Last year we had quite a bit of ice, and this year has been insane (for Kansas City).

Spend another $10k - fix the trans and buy a v box spreader and PM me. You should be able to make your money back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.