Should I charge if someone cleaned my driveway??

Elite Snow Removal

Senior Member
Location
ND
I have a problem with some condos I clean 2 times this year someone has just come by with a bobcat and cleaned out the 4 driveways and the owners think or thought it was me but it wasn't. So what I did was go to these condos first and the finish my route. NOW the other day I cleaned the condos and headed to another residential house where I found the grand daughter of the lady that hired me cleaning the driveway. I asked if she wanted me to finish but she was almost done. She said she just did it because she was there. What does a guy do about this? I start plowing snow with in the hour it stops. It's not like I wait 4 hrs then start. Should I just send her the bill and explain she has a contract with me or what??
Thanks
 

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
Location
SE Michigan
R&J Whitetails;2116291 said:
I have a problem with some condos I clean 2 times this year someone has just come by with a bobcat and cleaned out the 4 driveways and the owners think or thought it was me but it wasn't. So what I did was go to these condos first and the finish my route. NOW the other day I cleaned the condos and headed to another residential house where I found the grand daughter of the lady that hired me cleaning the driveway. I asked if she wanted me to finish but she was almost done. She said she just did it because she was there. What does a guy do about this? I start plowing snow with in the hour it stops. It's not like I wait 4 hrs then start. Should I just send her the bill and explain she has a contract with me or what??
Thanks
i tell my customers there is a charge if I show up and it's plowed.
 

OneBadDodge06

Senior Member
Location
Iowa
Yep send a bill. You are hired to provide a service, not to burn fuel and your time for nothing.

I bill contractors for plowing lots that didn't end up being contracted by them that I was told to do.
 

NThill93

Member
Location
Long Island
i send a bill no matter what i went all the way their to do the job and its their problem they didn't inform you. if they call me ill usually tell them to just pay me half if they're really upset. its weird that someone would take the time to clean the condos with a skid steer though it has to be someone real close that is driving it their. ask around.
 
OP
E

Elite Snow Removal

Senior Member
Location
ND
Yea someone around there must stop by. They said over the years different ppl just stop by and do it for them. Sometimes the grandson of one of them will do it but they told him they hired me to do it. Thanks for the info
 

Buswell Forest

PlowSite.com Addict
Location
NH
5 driveways, and who knows if he is on the hook or not? Just saying, he is losing money, and his contracts may ambiguous enough that he could be sued. Crazy stuff does happen. Willing to bet that charging for services not rendered would cure the gratuitous plowing. I'd be speaking to the persons actually taking my money away from me as well.
 
OP
E

Elite Snow Removal

Senior Member
Location
ND
Buswell Forest;2116513 said:
5 driveways, and who knows if he is on the hook or not? Just saying, he is losing money, and his contracts may ambiguous enough that he could be sued. Crazy stuff does happen. Willing to bet that charging for services not rendered would cure the gratuitous plowing. I'd be speaking to the persons actually taking my money away from me as well.
I would talk to them but no one knows who is doing it
 

theplowmeister

2000 Club Member
Location
MA
Just my $0.02 worth

Some of you dont see the big picture.

you want to charge for service NOT performed!

If you have to " burn fuel and your time for nothing" If you are wasting time and fuel you need to take a look at your plow rout your customer should be across the street or around the corner else your wasting time driving around.

you have to look ahead is the customer you charge for performing no service going to be happy with you? Is he going to refer you to others? next year or this year?

Once my ceptic system over flowed, I called my normal guy to pump it out. He was going to take 2 days to get there. My wife found a guy to come out the same day. he pumped I forgot to call my guy. He showed up 2 days later... and charged me full price. He would not budge on price. He could have charged me gas and time for the driver and I would have been OK with that, but no he wanted full price. OK he got it. I have never used him since nor will I recommend him. You decide do you want to be the plower the customer calls an SOB for charging for services not rendered.

what about next year? they going to be quick to sign up with you? Refer you as being an honest guy?

Its your business do as you please, I dont see charging for services not rendered as being good relations with my customers.
 

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
theplowmeister;2116617 said:
Just my $0.02 worth

Some of you dont see the big picture.

you want to charge for service NOT performed!

If you have to " burn fuel and your time for nothing" If you are wasting time and fuel you need to take a look at your plow rout your customer should be across the street or around the corner else your wasting time driving around.

you have to look ahead is the customer you charge for performing no service going to be happy with you? Is he going to refer you to others? next year or this year?

Once my ceptic system over flowed, I called my normal guy to pump it out. He was going to take 2 days to get there. My wife found a guy to come out the same day. he pumped I forgot to call my guy. He showed up 2 days later... and charged me full price. He would not budge on price. He could have charged me gas and time for the driver and I would have been OK with that, but no he wanted full price. OK he got it. I have never used him since nor will I recommend him. You decide do you want to be the plower the customer calls an SOB for charging for services not rendered.

what about next year? they going to be quick to sign up with you? Refer you as being an honest guy?

Its your business do as you please, I dont see charging for services not rendered as being good relations with my customers.

You couldn't be more wrong IMO. I told all my customers up front that if you do your own or someone else does your snow removal, you will still be charged. I had a set amount I expected to make each snowfall, and I'm not having customers decide to "do their own" when it's light or when they wanted to get outside for a few minutes of exercise. I had a pretty tight route but that doesn't matter to me, I'm still out that money. As far as your septic issue, you are at fault on that, you forgot to call, and used someone else. I'm sure he doesn't care you haven't called him since, I would have dropped you anyway. You're the type of customer I would never put up with, I've had a few over the years and I just moved on from them quickly.
 
OP
E

Elite Snow Removal

Senior Member
Location
ND
WIPensFan;2116651 said:
You couldn't be more wrong IMO. I told all my customers up front that if you do your own or someone else does your snow removal, you will still be charged. I had a set amount I expected to make each snowfall, and I'm not having customers decide to "do their own" when it's light or when they wanted to get outside for a few minutes of exercise. I had a pretty tight route but that doesn't matter to me, I'm still out that money. As far as your septic issue, you are at fault on that, you forgot to call, and used someone else. I'm sure he doesn't care you haven't called him since, I would have dropped you anyway. You're the type of customer I would never put up with, I've had a few over the years and I just moved on from them quickly.

I agree with you. I have lost 9 driveways now because of this non since. That's almost my whole route minus one driveway
 

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Location
FR NoCo
R&J Whitetails;2116291 said:
I have a problem with some condos I clean 2 times this year someone has just come by with a bobcat and cleaned out the 4 driveways and the owners think or thought it was me but it wasn't. So what I did was go to these condos first and the finish my route. NOW the other day I cleaned the condos and headed to another residential house where I found the grand daughter of the lady that hired me cleaning the driveway. I asked if she wanted me to finish but she was almost done. She said she just did it because she was there. What does a guy do about this? I start plowing snow with in the hour it stops. It's not like I wait 4 hrs then start. Should I just send her the bill and explain she has a contract with me or what??
Thanks

Do you plow the whole condo complex?
If not could the guy in the skid have plowed the wrong places?
Why do you wait till the end of the storm to plow?
 
OP
E

Elite Snow Removal

Senior Member
Location
ND
BUFF;2116657 said:
Do you plow the whole condo complex?
If not could the guy in the skid have plowed the wrong places?
Why do you wait till the end of the storm to plow?
I plow the whole complex. I wait till the end because that's what old ppl want. They don't want to be double charged and most of my routes are 30 mins (35 miles) from my home base
So it would not pay to drive 70 mile round trip 2 times
 

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Location
FR NoCo
R&J Whitetails;2116666 said:
I plow the whole complex. I wait till the end because that's what old ppl want. They don't want to be double charged and most of my routes are 30 mins (35 miles) from my home base
So it would not pay to drive 70 mile round trip 2 times

Is your contract with a HOA or individual residents.
If it's with the HOA bill it, if individuals don't but ask if they called someone else in.
 

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
theplowmeister;2116617 said:
Just my $0.02 worth

Some of you dont see the big picture. You sure?

you want to charge for service NOT performed! No, I'm charging for my time, whether I perform the service or not.

If you have to " burn fuel and your time for nothing" If you are wasting time and fuel you need to take a look at your plow rout your customer should be across the street or around the corner else your wasting time driving around.

So it doesn't take any time or fuel to go from customer to customer? Do you teleport?

you have to look ahead is the customer you charge for performing no service going to be happy with you? Is he going to refer you to others? next year or this year? My driveways are all seasonal. They don't get a refund if they or someone else does it. If they weren't seasonal, I checked their drive and it was done, I most certainly would charge them something.

Once my ceptic system over flowed, I called my normal guy to pump it out. He was going to take 2 days to get there. My wife found a guy to come out the same day. he pumped I forgot to call my guy. He showed up 2 days later... and charged me full price. He would not budge on price. He could have charged me gas and time for the driver and I would have been OK with that, but no he wanted full price. OK he got it. I have never used him since nor will I recommend him. You decide do you want to be the plower the customer calls an SOB for charging for services not rendered. Why is that his fault? You admit you forgot to call.

what about next year? they going to be quick to sign up with you? Refer you as being an honest guy? Honesty has nothing to do with this, unless he said he wasn't going to charge and did charge.

Its your business do as you please, I dont see charging for services not rendered as being good relations with my customers.

.....................
 
OP
E

Elite Snow Removal

Senior Member
Location
ND
BUFF;2116669 said:
Is your contract with a HOA or individual residents.
If it's with the HOA bill it, if individuals don't but ask if they called someone else in.
These condos have no association they are all just individual residence
 

Top Forums

Similar threads

Similar threads

Top