1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Setup questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by yellow78ford, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. yellow78ford

    yellow78ford Junior Member
    Messages: 26

    I'm looking to mount a plow on my 78 f150. I'm not very knowlegable yet with plow setups. So far, I've learned the basic main thing you need is the pushplate for the style truck you want to mount a plow to. I'm trying to find a pushplate for this truck at the moment or atleast just a complete setup of a truck like mine. Will a pushplate from say a 78 f250 fit or can I only get one from a 150? Also, is there only 1 pushplate for any type of plow or are there different ones for each plow? Also, I see many complete setups for early 80's ford trucks in the paper. These should mount right up on my 78 as long as I have the right pushplate correct? Also, I have some confusion on the engine driven pump. Where does the belt from the pump go to? I don't think I have an extra pulley on the engine (351m). Will a complete plow setup from a different truck..... say a 78 chevy work as long as I have the right pushplate? The brackets for the pump are probably different but are the pumps the same for any make truck? Any thing I'm missing please inform me of. Also, I'm trying to look for plows already mounted on a truck, it wouldnt be a good idea buying a setup not attached to the sellers truck since you cant test it correct?
  2. MickiRig1

    MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,617

    I am not a total expert but I will give it a shot!
    The frames are the same on the trucks for a long span of time.
    The spread of the plow mounting horns are "full size" so they are the same.
    Belt driven pumps may need a longer belt that is also connected to other driven stuff or may need a different pully added to the crank pulley with brackets for the pump. Most pumps now are electric over hydrolic.
    You also have to think about beefing up your charging and transmission cooling. If you can wrench your own stuff and have tools and access to a torch and welder it would help alot. That old a truck it will break and stress stuff that may be hard to find parts for. Plowing is real hard on a truck.
  3. 85F150

    85F150 Senior Member
    Messages: 340

    On the truck frame, i can't remem the measurements for the years, but jsut measure your frame (outside to outside) then contact the seller of the plow frame you want and see what his measurements are for the plow setup. You can always reweld or drill new holes. I don't like the engine driven pumps, but the pump is usally ran of an extra rib in the crank pulley or water pump pulley, maybe check the junkyard for extra ribbed pulleys or even plow setups for that matter.

    Trucks other than fords will definately have a different frame mount so you will need to reweld or change the brackets.

    The only thing diff truck to truck is the mount to the frame, pumps are the same.
  4. 84deisel

    84deisel Senior Member
    Messages: 697

    ford changed frame width in 1980 but I cant remember if it went narrower or wider.
  5. 85F150

    85F150 Senior Member
    Messages: 340

    well my 85 is 41.5 or 42" across if that helps you any
  6. MickiRig1

    MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,617

    I was saying Ford frame's don't change for long lengths of time. When they redesign the truck's stuff changes. See if you can down load the install guide for your year truck from the Meyer web site,it may be of help. There are web sites that deal in Fords ask on the site and see what they know.
    The bigger main libraries may be of help with info in books stored in the basement.