Snow Plowing Forum banner

Service On 2000 Chevy 6.0

978 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  PLOWMAN45 
#1 ·
Anyone do there own oil change i wanted to do mine today they really cranked it tight im using a 15mm wrench and i cant crank it open :guns: :guns: :guns:

#2 ·
I had the same problem. Make sure you have a filter wrench. I have never had to use one until now, and of course it is one of those small ones. There are a couple of flaws in my opinion. The oil comes out and hits the exhaust pipe and oil goes on top of the front skid plate. Just a few things to look out for.

#3 ·
Slip a piece of pipe over the wrench for more leverage.The oil pans on these LS1 motors are aluminum so be careful when reinstalling the plug that you dont over tighen it like someone else obviously did. If you dont have a torque wrench just go a little past "snug".

#4 ·
yeah the guy who serviced my truck told me he used a six point socket so i will try tom

#5 ·
Yea, it's always a good idea to use a 6 point socket on your oil drain plug.Cut's down on the wear on the head of the plug.Think about it for a minute.If you change your oil every 3000 mile's and the truck has a life expectancy of 200,000 mi that plug will be in and out about 66 time's.

#6 ·
Did mine a couple weeks ago for the first time...possibly the most annoying oil change I've ever done on any vehicle. The filter is in a really lousy location and a conventional old fashioned filter wrench simply would not fit on it. I wound up just cranking on it by hand till it eventually loosened up anough to come off, but in the future I will get myself one of those wrenches that can be used on a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar to loosten it.

#8 ·
yup i gotta get a better filter wrench

#9 ·
does any one use claws or what do you use to get the filter out besides a strap which is to tight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.