Self recovery

I've been lucky so far I've been the rescuer, not the one needing to be rescued and gotten myself out of my own jams.

The two worst times I got stuck was biting off too much back-dragging a driveway and got myself high-centered. Second was the back of a YMCA, gravel path with no markings and I went off the gravel. We don't get the deep freezes here, so I ended up in what was essentially a mud pit.

I've contemplated getting some https://maxtraxus.com/

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
Or when you get a phone call from your driver. He was told not to go to the lower driveway, but he did anyway. The truck slid off, he jumped out and is scared it might roll. I just called my tow guy. Figured it would get out one way or another.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
I've contemplated getting some https://maxtraxus.com/
Never used them in snow or mud but in the desert in sand washes or dunes they work very well especially when there's nothing to hook a winch too.

When there's another vehicle I use a 4" strap rated for 40k lbs which has seen plenty of use and looking to replace with one of these.

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
I just washed the Ferd, stuck on flat ground. I guess I gotta put some weight in the back.
IMG_20210911_182708272_copy_800x600.jpg

T70

Plowing beside a very deep drainage ditch. Got too close and the machine started to flip and intentionally being run off the road by an AG tractor with a snowbox considerably wider than the road we we both on were the only times i really got stuck.. Feeling your machine starting to go over is got to be one of the worst feelings.

theplowmeister

2000 Club Member
. I do have a 60" Hilift...
I have been off roading for 34 years, all over this country from ME to CA. Watched people use HiLifts.

I wont own a HILift!

Ive seen them go through Jeep doors and radiators when the Jeep/HiLift slips Ive seen them send the operator to the ER!
And you want to use it on ice/snow or where the truck is on ice/snow.
You Better have REAL good Health Insurance. And who's going to cover for you when your in the ER?

OP
BigG

BigG

I have been off roading for 34 years, all over this country from ME to CA. Watched people use HiLifts.

I wont own a HILift!

Ive seen them go through Jeep doors and radiators when the Jeep/HiLift slips Ive seen them send the operator to the ER!
And you want to use it on ice/snow or where the truck is on ice/snow.
You Better have REAL good Health Insurance. And who's going to cover for you when your in the ER?
Lol. Offloading is inherently dangerous. Lots of ways to get hurt in addition to hi lift operations. Know the risks and take precautions. I also ride motorcycles and shoot competitive pistol. Never an issue.

In my original post I was referring to using it to pull horizontally. Ice/snow wouldn't have any effect there.

Last edited:

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
We have a rural, no cell, no people route doing substations 15 miles from town. When we have to solo it’s studs, bucket of sand, square point shovel, brains to stop if it’s bad, a rear winch (harbor freight but hey it has worked), and most of all hard won knowledge. Don’t go too far, buy the right equipment.

Sounds like a good route...for someone who is antisocial.

Top Forums