Self recovery

T70

Hydromaster brings up a good point about the bumper. You can easily damage your bumper with one of those so you have to really be careful where you place one. They were designed for farmers to lift up agricultural tractors out in muddy fields originally then the off road guys started using them. Can't tell you how many times one of those has got me out of a real jam. Problem is they are so dangerous. If you go that route i would suggest you really research tricks to using them properly. Spare your truck and a visit to the hospital.

OP
BigG

BigG

Wouldn't dream of putting a hi lift on the bumper of my new truck. I was thinking the hitch. Yes there are trees everywhere I plow. Yes I have buddies with truck, but I'd rather not bother them or depend on them. Yes it would be best not to get stuck in the first place. I'm talking once or twice per season. I can only aspire to be perfect like those of you who don't ever get stuck.

My question was come along, or chain fall, but thanks anyway.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Wouldn't dream of putting a hi lift on the bumper of my new truck. I was thinking the hitch. Yes there are trees everywhere I plow. Yes I have buddies with truck, but I'd rather not bother them or depend on them. Yes it would be best not to get stuck in the first place. I'm talking once or twice per season. I can only aspire to be perfect like those of you who don't ever get stuck.

My question was come along, or chain fall, but thanks anyway.
Whooo there big fella , nobody said were perfect but the advice comes with a lifetime of experience. everybody gets stuck .
some just don’t make a habit out of it.

getting stuck cost money and time.
It’s called not being in a hurry, or plowing like a teenager. think about you what your doing instead of being a ramrod.

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
We've all gotten stuck, I buried myself in my own yard last year. I know a half dozen guys, we help each other if needed. But it ain't every storm. An electric winch would get you out, a come a long, that would be hard.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
We've all gotten stuck, I buried myself in my own yard last year. I know a half dozen guys, we help each other if needed. But it ain't every storm. An electric winch would get you out, a come a long, that would be hard.

I could just imagine the look on my clients face when I wrap a cable or around their silver maple and start winching myself out of the ditch…

Or there have to be something around to hook onto other than their mailbox

T70

Worst case stories of people getting stuck plowing would be a great topic on here. We get vicious lake effect and white outs around here. Sometimes you can barely see where the road ends and the ditch starts. I see the highway trucks in the ditch all the time , so even those guys get stuck.

fendt716

here is what in 40 years i learn do not push as far. come back later when road is bare and push back then and rear tires are on good bare pavement. we all get stuck and sometimes real bad.

jonniesmooth

PlowSite Veteran
I don't seem to get stuck as often any more when I'm pushing large accumulation.
It's more often when I'm doing something that should be quick and easy.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
Did someone say tire chains?

1631360368084.png

These could even be helpful if one has a load of firewood in their truck but the 4WD is broken.

GMC Driver

PlowSite.com Addict
This, keep a tow strap with you, make some friends in the industry in your area, guys will help each other out.

This is what we do - every truck has a recovery strap. Still the safest way IMHDAO. We also have multiple units out, with routes that overlap, so to call one of the other trucks to help out is usually not a problem. Its the shame factor that will prevent someone from asking for help.

I've helped out competitors that have gotten stuck - pay it forward. Just carry a 5 page waiver with you - not responsible for any resulting damages.

Or just floor it.

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
What if you only have one unit out?

The local tow is a Scotsman named Jim.
His accent and demeanor will always brighten your day. I have called him several times and most always dig myself out before he gets there.
I always sheepishly phone him back and let him know and to charge me(he never does) sometimes he just says "I havntt left yet cawse you always git ooot."

Fourteen Contracting Inc.

PlowSite.com Addict
What if you only have one unit out?

The local tow is a Scotsman named Jim.
His accent and demeanor will always brighten your day. I have called him several times and most always dig myself out before he gets there.
I always sheepishly phone him back and let him know and to charge me(he never does) sometimes he just says "I havntt left yet cawse you always git ooot."
Ewe do what? Careful doing anything sheepish around a Scot, you might get sheared. Alright, I've met my sheep pun quota for the day.

Top Forums