Self recovery

BigG

Getting back into plowing. When I was doing it, and got stuck it was always because I pushed too far into the pile or my front tires dipped down onto the shoulder/ ditch and couldn't back up. Obviously a hitch mounted winch would be ideal, but more then I want to spend not to mention running heavy gauge wires the length of the truck. I do have a 60" Hilift...what about a lever style chainfall? They come up to 3T, and 20' of chain. Or comeallong? They don't seem as powerful or have the reach. Anything else I'm missing?

OP
BigG

BigG

For the rare occasion you do push to far have a shovel to dig you out
I realize this sounds a little silly....yes I shouldn't push so far, but I'm trying to clear as big as I can for my customers and as far into the ditch to keep the municipality happy (we're allowed to plow across the road).

I've gone through 3' snowfalls twice now, and shoveling myself out can lead to exhaustion very quickly.

2wd seems risky to my drive train. If I had 2wd low I'd try it, but no such luck.

Another option I'm looking at are strap over tire traction aids... but I'm a little concerned about snapping driveline parts going from stuck to full traction. I do have a set of ice chains for the rear that I'll put on for more extreme snowfalls or if we get a layer of ice under snow.

Kinport

Chainfall or come-along plus 2-3 20’ chains in case your anchor point is further than the chainfall can reach.

It’s nice to have a bag of kitty litter/sand in the bed to throw down for traction if your tires aren’t buried but just can’t hook up

metal scoop shovel for moving snow away from the blade/mount/frame/axles. Snow shovels usually suck for this

Keep the bed loaded with as much weight as safely possible and run good tires and you will minimize the amount of times your stuck.

OP
BigG

BigG

Yes I have duratracs, I'll probably have 300lbs at the tailgate, and a good shovel. Sand is a great idea...although I find it freezes to a solid block. Lol

I have those "tow truck in a box". It's hit or miss if they work. If you can rock back and forth a little they're effective, but if you can't move at all the tires can't get up on them.

I'm just wanting to plan for the worst. Not a good feeling blocking the road, with customers waiting and city plow due through anytime. Lol. Why am I doing this again!? LOL. Oh right; to pay for the nice gear.

seville009

PlowSite.com Addict
I used to carry the emergency strap on tire chains. Got stuck pushing into a pile facing downhill in heavy slick snow. Put two strap in chains on each rear wheel (had Duratracs) and got it out.

T70

Hi lift jack and a shovel. Lift the truck and clean out under the rear tires and you can hopefully just back out. If your high centered then you will have to dig out more around the truck. You can use a high lift jack to pull also but a plow truck is fairly heavy and really don't want to be any where near that jack handle if it kicks back at you.

OP
BigG

BigG

I never thought of lifting the rear with the hi lift to clean out & add sand/ traction matts!

Yeah, I used to Jeep... met an old English chap that was permanently disfigured by a hi lift handle snapping back at him. Never, ever be in the path of the handle.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Have fun lifting your truck when it’s full of 500+ pounds of sand salt and tools , snowblower with your highlift , I wouldn’t stick that under the bumper.

Shovel the snow out from around your plow out from underneath your front axle shovel it out from behind your wheels and throw down some grit and you should be able to back right out if you’re that far into the pile or a ditch , well, you should’ve learned your lesson by now

or get a set a tire chains

jmo

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
Have fun lifting your truck when it’s full of 500+ pounds of sand salt and tools , snowblower with your highlift , I wouldn’t stick that under the bumper.

Shovel the snow out from around your plow out from underneath your front axle shovel it out from behind your wheels and throw down some grit and you should be able to back right out if you’re that far into the pile or a ditch , well, you should’ve learned your lesson by now

jmo
This, keep a tow strap with you, make some friends in the industry in your area, guys will help each other out.

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic

jmo
Or just don’t get stuck…

Top Forums