Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas,

I’m starting to get hinting around about cost for the upcoming season.Up to this point with all the summer accounts we have lost I can see winter the same. Any thoughts on how to handle the most crazy costs We have ever seen. Rumor on play ground salt is going to be 150 to 170 direct out of the port and fuel who knows.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Just make sure you have clauses in for rising fuel,salt,labour etc costs. It's not worth getting stuck in a contract and losing money on it due to rising costs that are way out of your control.
Excellent advice - with a fuel surcharge in play, when you raise your prices you just blame Putin for them.

"That damned Putin raising my prices again! Grrr!!"

·
Registered
50,865 Posts
Saw a couple people axing on the Booko'Faces...one said 20%, another said 25% and yet another said 10% then said he was going to reevaluate.

10% guy is a "competitor". His prices were getting close to what they should be a couple years ago then he dropped them...a bunch. 10% wouldn't even bring him back to where he was a couple years ago.

If I so desired, I could make a bizness out of his disgruntled customers.

I already have a clause for fuel over $4/gallon and price fluctuations of salt. Also had a customer ask if I wanted to bump up my prices this spring on a multi-year contract. While I appreciated his thoughtfulness, I suggested we wait to see what happened. At that time fuel and inflation were not higher than the peanut farmer's disaster and thought things might even come down by this fall, so I suggested we wait.

Next round of invoices will have a surcharge even though I bumped prices up what I thought was fairly significantly this spring, but not enough to cover these asinine fuel prices. Really haven't thought about this winter yet.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ok fellas,

I’m starting to get hinting around about cost for the upcoming season.Up to this point with all the summer accounts we have lost I can see winter the same. Any thoughts on how to handle the most crazy costs We have ever seen. Rumor on play ground salt is going to be 150 to 170 direct out of the port and fuel who knows.
On one of the Fakebook tractor forums there was **** chat of 20% increase in rates for resi service.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Just make sure you have clauses in for rising fuel,salt,labour etc costs. It's not worth getting stuck in a contract and losing money on it due to rising costs that are way out of your control.
Here, salt comes on freighters, and freighters run on diesel, so I can't imagine salt prices not going up.
I'm glad I'm out of the snow biz with all of the unknown variables.

·
Registered
50,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
C h i t chat.... censored? Lol
I believe that it was being used in place of another prohibited word. I'm told that "shirt", "sit", "crap", "fudge", and "doodie" are all on the chopping block during the next upgrade.

Guess we are all royally *ed. Oh * I can't say . * it.

Edit: Holy *. I swear I'm not making this up - four asterisks are now censored to one *.

·
Registered
50,865 Posts
Are you ****ting me?

That's pretty *******...red neck

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See I live in ct. gas has been over 5 a gallon for weeks diesel has been hovering just at 6.23 a gallon. Not to mention taxes on property just went up another 1.5 mills. Simple mower is 65 to fill plus the truck fuel. So $60 lawn cut plus 6 dollar fuel surcharge is. It much. Still guy doing same lawn for $30. Big companies can charge what ever people pay.

So back to my original question thoughts are you guys going up on pricing or surcharges

·
Registered
50,865 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
See I live in ct. gas has been over 5 a gallon for weeks diesel has been hovering just at 6.23 a gallon. Not to mention taxes on property just went up another 1.5 mills. Simple mower is 65 to fill plus the truck fuel. So $60 lawn cut plus 6 dollar fuel surcharge is. It much. Still guy doing same lawn for $30. Big companies can charge what ever people pay.

So back to my original question thoughts are you guys going up on pricing or surcharges
Are there any other options? Besides a for sale sign in the shop window...

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts

I’m not really a fan of the word “surcharge” or “fee”
I prefer to just raise my rates. In the past, we’ve stipulated in contracts that rise in material costs will have a direct correlation to deicing services. Fuel usually has held pretty steady in the winter because the only time people are traveling are thanksgiving and Christmas.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
I’m not really a fan of the word “surcharge” or “fee”
I prefer to just raise my rates. In the past, we’ve stipulated in contracts that rise in material costs will have a direct correlation to deicing services. Fuel usually has held pretty steady in the winter because the only time people are traveling are thanksgiving and Christmas.
Historically maybe, but gas prices consistently rose from July 2021 - April 2022.
If you base your contract on July gas prices, what makes you think you won't be paying more in January?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts