Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share my learnings - in getting my early ~2005 Snoway HTD 96" plow repaired and ready to use, I installed a wearstrip/cutting-edge/scraper made from some leftover HDPE sheet stock I had. This was Seaboard Light HDPE 3/8" thick board that I had leftover from when I crafted new seats for a boat I had some years ago. I doubled it up, so that the total thickness was 3/4", and I installed the original steel wearstrip over the top of it to provide additional strength. The HDPE stuck out about 3/4" below the edge of the steel wearstrip.

I've used the plow on our driveway about 4 or 5 times, now, and the setup works well. But after scraping off some accumulated slush/ice from the weather yesterday, I noticed that part of the HDPE edge had cracked off. I don't have a lot of obstacles, so I would say this was more just from exposure to the transition from driveway to lawn, or going across seams in the driveway.

Seaboard Light is a lower-density version of UV-resistant HDPE, and I had used it on my boat seats as it was easier to drive the stainless upholstery staples into the material to fasten the new seat covers. It is not strong enough for this application.

I will find a plow-specific polymer wearstrip to install, instead, as I want to minimize wear on our asphalt driveway.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
17,303 Posts
I know absolutely zero about that material itself, but I think the 3/8" and the "doubling up to 3/4 inch" was part of the problem.

While you'd have more total material wearing down, each individual piece, when you started dragging it, would flex separately since they are only bolted together at the very top edge. And cracking a 3/8" piece of plastic doesn't take much.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to source 3/4" UHMW locally (I used 2 - 48" x 6" pieces) to replace the Seaboard Light pieces. Cost was $70+tax for the 2 pieces - quite reasonable, I believe. I would have gone with 1", but the local supplier didn't have enough cutoffs in that thickness - I would have needed longer bolts to attach a 1" thick piece, as well.

It is performing well so far - there have been a lot of opportunities to try it out this week with all the snow we've been getting in SE MI :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know absolutely zero about that material itself, but I think the 3/8" and the "doubling up to 3/4 inch" was part of the problem.

While you'd have more total material wearing down, each individual piece, when you started dragging it, would flex separately since they are only bolted together at the very top edge. And cracking a 3/8" piece of plastic doesn't take much.
cwren2742 - as I removed the old pieces and thought about it more your comment really hit home. Even though it was "doubled up", if the back 3/8" piece caught an edge separate from the front, it would take that stress all on its own. And vice-versa, while back dragging if the front piece caught an edge it would take that stress all on its own. Kind of like flipping the edges on a deck of cards.

Anyway, the 3/4" UHMW is on there and doing well so far!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top