• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

Saw my First Boss plow today.

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
I sawe my first Boss Plow today. The dealer was out demoing in plows, the dealer is an ex fisher dealer, turned boss.

We looked it over. I think it has some good features however, I am not sold on the full trip blade in a v-plow. I said I would have to pass on the Boss.

Geoff

DaveK

Your first time ever....... Where I'm from, I see more Boss than Meyer. Almost as many as Westerns. And almost never see a Fisher.

Did you get to see how quick and easy it attaches to the truck?

OP
G

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
I live in Northern Maine.

Boss, meyer, western, and the other brands are not well know.

Most Mainers go with Fisher or Diamond and not much else. Try to get them to change.

Geoff

DaveO

PlowSite.com Veteran
Fisher country

It's not just in Maine. Around here (Ma.), I would guess close to 75% market share is Fisher. The rest is a mix of Western, Meyers, and Curtis. Curtis is becoming more popular because they are locally made(Worcester I believe) and can be bought for around $2500. Seem like a decent quality setup. I have seen one SnoWay(LOBO), and the owner sold it after 1 year to buy a Fisher setup(FWIW). There are also Pathfinders(R.I.), and some Diamonds around.

There are some Boss dealers around also, they have been pushing into this market. I looked at them a couple of years ago, and was impressed with many features.

The mentality around here is still if it's not a Fisher, it's 2nd best. This probably comes from the people who have had them for MANY years with no/little problems.

Dave

porter

I tried out a new boss v and i hated it. I'm from new brunswick canada everyone uses Diamond or Fisher. The new diamond v plow is super good i loved it

DaveK

I live in Northern Maine. Boss, meyer, western, and the other brands are not well know.
Funny how geographic location determines brand loyalty.
When I was very young, I thought that Western was the ONLY company that made plows.

Porter, what did you not like about the Boss V?

And what do you like about the Diamond V?

porter

I'm haven't figured it out yet but for some reason the fisher leaves a bunch of snow like a line where the v is in the plow and diamond eliminated by doing something i'll have to look a little closer and see what the difference is when there parked side by side

OBRYANMAINT

PlowSite.com Veteran
yes here until a few years ago you did not see much but meyer just because they have offices in the area even now, unless you are in the industry and know better ,people around here think it's the plow to have

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I will agree that boss uses a better factory center design. However that center shoe still wont let it trip in the scoop position.
Dino

PINEISLAND1

PlowSite.com Veteran
I sure wish Vince would work on a replacement for the Boss' "horses hoof" center piece, out of urethane. As you say, if it hits anything square, it takes a beating, not to mention how it wears anyway. I would rather have a piece of urethane there.

Unfrozen gravel in November is pretty tough on the horsehoof, but the hoof does work fine and has only ejected once. I too would like to see something a little more durable without having to become an inventor myself.

The guys I used to work for had 5 boss v - plows and they all lost their "camel toes" / "horses hoofs" / whatever you want to call that piece in the middle on a regular basis. As far as attaching them (the RTII and RTIII), I found it more of a pain in the butt than hooking up a good 'ol wester unimoint straight blade that's missing the jackstand. The BOSS V's sure were good at pushing snow, but they were always in the shop, usually for bent center pins on the RTII's and other center pin problems on the RTIII's. Some people will tell me that we were abusing these plows and I will agree, but the important point is that we abused all of our plows and the boss V's seemed to break the most....

-J

Kent Lawns

PlowSite.com Veteran
You leave them bent.

They never break.

There's a couple of tricks to properly setting up and Boss and you never work on them.

DaveK

I found it more of a pain in the butt than hooking up a good 'ol wester unimoint straight blade that's missing the jackstand.
You obviously weren't doing something right. After mounting the Boss V on a friends truck in less than a minute (and it was my first time) I curse every time I have to hook up my unimount. And I still have the stand.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I can at least mount the uni mount style by myself, but it takes at least 5-10 minutes if all goes right. I have found with the v plow, that leaving the plow in the v position makes getting to all the pins and clips alot harder. During the season, I leave them straight when I take the plows off.
Dino

recon

plowking35 said:
I can at least mount the uni mount style by myself, but it takes at least 5-10 minutes if all goes right. I have found with the v plow, that leaving the plow in the v position makes getting to all the pins and clips alot harder. During the season, I leave them straight when I take the plows off.
Dino
I have had Fisher products for years. I recently purchased a 9.2 Boss V plow. I have plowed 3 storms, approximately 40 accounts, and have had no trouble to date. Before buying the Boss I made several comparisons to get the best for the dollar. Although I've had and still do have Fisher plows, if I were to buy another plow it would be definetly a Boss. I placed my 9.2 Boss next to a Fisher V-plow and put the Boss through the up/down right,left angles and the difference is very obvious. The performance of a Boss is far more superior. The on/off the truck takes maybe a minute, unlike the fisher models. My observations are based on actuial use of both units. Like anything you get what you pay for and the Boss V-plow is more expensive than Fisher.