Salter wiring question

Mistel

I have a 1990 f150 that I use to plow a few lots that are part of our family business. I bought a used Meyers mini salter this year and replaced the motor. I need to wire it up but have no plugs or haress at the rear. I need to know what would be a good way to wire it from scratch. I have got no wires or switches with it when I bought it. i'm not much of a mechanic so simplicity is best

Thanks

plowman

GO TO YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS AND GET A TRAILER WIRE HARNESS KIT . FIND A LOCAL PLOW PARTS DEALER OR CATLOG AND GET A CONTROLER TO AJUST THE SPEEDS .USE TWO OF THE WIRES FROM THE KIT , THE CONTROLER WILL COME WITH WIRING DIAG.

OP
M

Mistel

Thanks for the advice. Whats happened so far is that I was trying to save few bucks so I bought the salter used for $250 but it needed a new motor. Paid $290 for new motor, but it also needed the auger, spreader and coupling, another $200. the speed control is over $200 so I dont want to buy one unless absolutely neccessary. I was thinking just an on off switch ($12) or a three position switch, low , medium, high. Considering a new one is $1800 Canadian I guess I am better off but its getting close :(

I have an older western salter and a buyers that I run off of a two way switch to power it and a trailer wiring hook up. The tricky part is you don't have any adjustment for the spread speed so you have to adjust your truck speed. I usually spread in 2nd gear and slow down in the areas that the salt needs to be thicker. Been running both salters for 4 years that way, works for me, couldn't see spending the extra $200.00 for all the controls. Good luck
Joe

Top Forums