Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. What kind of prices are you bidding out for salt? I'm in SE Wisconsin and I'm getting MgCl2 from my vendor at $0.18/lb. I'm at a small company, and the owner wants to triple that cost to the client, but in the long run we will only do what we all agree on. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MgCl2 isn't salt.
But we're bidding more than the price you listed
From Google: "Magnesium chloride (MgCl2) is a salt compound composed of Mg+2 and Cl- ions. ... Granulated MgCl2 is also commonly applied to sidewalks, driveways, and walkways in smaller quantities." But hey, thank you for the opinion on numbers. I was apprehensive to increase x3, but if that doesnt seem out of the ordinary then hey.. that's why I'm learning.

· Registered
15,616 Posts
how about adding an opinion or some value to the thread please? it's a new guy asking for some advice so either post some or move along
Gotcha next time I'll tell him it's not a salt... Here is some info on what he's using...

You could double @WiscoLakeLife but to triple may be a stretch going to depend on your market... @EWSplow is in the area and could give you some insight...

Font Number Circle

Human body Plant Font Rectangle Circle

· Super Moderator
10,617 Posts
From Google: "Magnesium chloride (MgCl2) is a salt compound composed of Mg+2 and Cl- ions. ... Granulated MgCl2 is also commonly applied to sidewalks, driveways, and walkways in smaller quantities." But hey, thank you for the opinion on numbers. I was apprehensive to increase x3, but if that doesnt seem out of the ordinary then hey.. that's why I'm learning.
Why don't you ask google what they're bidding out for "salt"

· Registered
837 Posts
Salt or de-icers are typically bought and sold by the ton or pallet.

I contract for by the bag spread for “non salt” and per app for rock salt.

Does tripling the cost cover traveling to spread the bag and all costs? It may or may not.

How long does it take Jim in the company truck to drive to spread a bag and come back. Does $30 cover that?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotcha next time I'll tell him it's not a salt... Here is some info on what he's using...

You could double @WiscoLakeLife but to triple may be a stretch going to depend on your market... @EWSplow is in the area and could give you some insight...

View attachment 195471

View attachment 195472
I thought tripling was a little much too, however after posting this I also reached out to people we know in the industry who happen to be friendly enough to not only not make jack*** comments about what is salt and what isn't, but also be honest about what kind of numbers they are charging, and it sounds like if we triple it STILL isn't as high as we can go. It sounds like our vendor is just on point this year and we are getting a pretty good price on our "salt". I sent my first commercial bid with the price we discussed yesterday... see what the guy comes back with..

· Super Moderator
10,617 Posts
I thought tripling was a little much too, however after posting this I also reached out to people we know in the industry who happen to be friendly enough to not only not make jack*** comments about what is salt and what isn't, but also be honest about what kind of numbers they are charging, and it sounds like if we triple it STILL isn't as high as we can go. It sounds like our vendor is just on point this year and we are getting a pretty good price on our "salt". I sent my first commercial bid with the price we discussed yesterday... see what the guy comes back with..
Around here, when you purchase salt you're getting NaCl with Prussian blue in it depending on where it's coming from. When someone refers to salting, they're referring to sodium chloride not Mag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.