1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Rust Rust Rust

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stroker79, Apr 19, 2008.

  1. stroker79

    stroker79 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,802

    I just bought a used truck that mechanically is in great condition but the rocker panels are rotted and the frame is shedding the undercoat and taking some metal with it. Overall the truck is pretty solid but for aestetic reasons Id like to coat the frame with black paint and also to help curb the rust from getting worse. I plan to replace the rocker panels with new metal im mostly asking about the frame und underside of the flatbed.

    the pics are here http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=553029#post553029

    anyway, I have looked at POR15 and rust bullet and eastwoods variety of products.

    I basically do not know what to do. I dont want to sand blast it, i dont want to wire wheel it due to the time involved and I dont want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I know the rust paint is expensive and thats fine but there are enough of them that Im not sure which is best. I am going to spray it out of a HVLP paint gun.

    Anyone with experiance with this?
  2. merrimacmill

    merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA
    Messages: 1,823

    What I would do would be to get under there with a thick scraper, and then scape off all the real loose stuff. Then get a large wire wheel such as the snap on crud thug (works great) and wire wheel the bad areas. I'm not saying you need to do every inch of the thing, but just the real bad parts that you don't think paint will stick to. Then once you scape all the undercoating off, wire wheel all the loose rust off, get some POR 15 and paint the whole underneath with it. The stuff is awsome. It doesn't chip unless you try, you can paint it onto sheet metal then bend the sheet metal and it doesn't even flake off. Its the way to go. It is a little pricey though.

    Reason I gave the procedure as what to do is, thats the same thing I did when I did a rolling resto on a 59 rambler. Then I sold it once done and got my 67 camaro, which really doesn't have any rust.

    Good luck.
  3. 1SicVic

    1SicVic Junior Member
    Messages: 13

    what he said x2
  4. allarservices

    allarservices Junior Member
    Messages: 4

    I am still in the experimental stage of this problem myself, but what I started trying last season was to spray old drain oil out of a 100# sand blaster under the entire side of the trucks. It seems like it helped but it should be done at least twice a season so it stays fully covered. The down side is it's very messy to apply and it will drip oil for a good two or three days, so keep a lot od oil dry around.
  5. scottL

    scottL PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,613

    Get to the Eastwood company.

    Sand blasting and major surgery - First choice but, expensive. So, temporary fix. Your gonna have to get a drill and wire brush attachment and go to town. If you don't do this nothing else will have a chance. Secondly, get a good product from Eastwood to turn the rust into a black base coat and think zinc. Third use their encapsulator which is red. Once you do that then use their rubberized under coating. This will usually last a few years.

    As for repairing the rockers..... Find a local shop who will do custom work. The main stream shops will never touch it without full replacement parts. You may even think about going with a simulated diamond plate look for the lowers.
  6. JD Dave

    JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,194

    I agree with what was said above but would like to add, you can wire wheeel the frame of your truck in an hour with a 4" grinder with the wire wheel attachment, drills are to slow. I have a wire wheel on my 7" grinder, my 4" and on my die grinder, sometimes I use all 3 of them depending on the job I'm doing.
  7. beaver2

    beaver2 Member
    Messages: 62

    Use a scaler. It is an air powered tool that is designed to remove rust scale. Than paint it with some rust paint
  8. krazeehorse

    krazeehorse Member
    Messages: 31

    We use a scaler to clean the oxidation off wheels that are leaking around the bead at our tire shop. Good tool for working on rust.