Snow Plowing Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
I have some ocean front property to sell you.

BeastMaster;1117331 said:
Talked w/ the dealer this morning. They can find nothing wrong in the dz. or so pics I sent.

I spent the last hr. at home taking the plow on and off, level, semi-level, sitting on a pallet , no pallet. It worked flawlessly. Mysterious indeed.

The only thing the dealer said, is to use the button on the light tower to take the plow down, even though it will "fall" down slowly itself. Said air bubbles will build up in the line if you don't "force" it down w/ the toggle. I sometimes just let it go down on its own since it was falling slowly. I won't anymore.

Jack: Make sure it is extended as far as possible. I knew that, always have done that, but, there is a slight diff. in jack hole/hight if you use the toggle to force the tower up/back twds. the truck and let the jack down while holding the toggle in the up pos. or if you let the jack down before you force the tower/plow to unlatch, up/twds. the truck.
Maybe this little diff. was the problem. I say hold/force the tower UP w/ the toggle, let jack drop, then let plow/tower disengage. I wonder if this will damage the switch or something though. Sounds as if you're forcing the toggle/motor in a hurtful position.
Nice to see you finally followed the information given from guys who actually run the equipment. Strange, it works fine when
you use the correct hole in the jack. :rolleyes:

Now, instead of using the smart hitch to gain height under the jack to catch the next lower hole, use the rest of the info we provided and drop the jack BEFORE lowering the plow to the ground. No need for placing the extra stress on the pump via using your method.

BeastMaster;1114591 said:
I can't imagine the hell this would be when everything is coated w/ snow and ice. I just don't think it's worth the hassle. I can't get it back to the dealer this week b/c I'm having teeth cut out, told em to send a field truck (2.5 hrs. one way) and come get it...wiring, mount and all. I've had it.
Unhook from it and start over. Line up an pull up to it. Boss plows are very finicky about being on level ground so have a floor jack ready not 2 like someone else posted just 1. Hook up the wires and flick the switch to hook it up also Switch levers to lock. IF they dont both engage then use a floor jack to manipulate the plow into doing so. This is done by placing the 1 floor jack directly being the plow where you see what looks like an "A" in the mounting brackets. Jack it up just a little and move the mounting switch up and down a little and it will engage. I have done this in 20 above and 20 below and works every time. IF this doesnt make sense call me and I can walk you through it as I had to have my installer show me this trick(218-256-2585). IT is common among ALL Boss plows and once you have it down it takes no more than 10 min to hook up and go

BeastMaster;1114591 said:
I can't imagine the hell this would be when everything is coated w/ snow and ice. I just don't think it's worth the hassle. I can't get it back to the dealer this week b/c I'm having teeth cut out, told em to send a field truck (2.5 hrs. one way) and come get it...wiring, mount and all. I've had it.
Also, based on the pic of your passenger side you didn't go far enough forward prior to mounting it or you weren't lined up straight and only got one side all the lined up

BeastMaster;1115142 said:
The mount is EXACTLY dead on at the specified 16.5" They got that to the milimeter almost, so, that's not the problem. I re-read the book. Watched the dvd 2x. Went out Sun. morning, and it hitched up just fine. Hmmm...the plow fairies fixed it.
Drove 15 yrds. to set it down and unhitch. It won't unhitch now. The pass. side stays hooked while the drivers side pops free as shown in the video and as it did when I practiced at the dealer and when I got it home.
It's as if the upside down fish hook on the pass. side is up too high and won't let the plow disengage. However, as I said, both sides are within 1/4" of being the same height on level pvmnt.

SOUTH SENECA:
"When you drive into the plow, one side will touch before the other."

Yes, I noticed this. It don't make sense really as I square up well to the plow first, but I noticed it. This morning however, it snapped on fine, but won't unhitch.

Had to jack the "coupler assembly" (part cpa04689) aka the light tree, up w/ a jack to lift it off the fish hook on the mount so I could back out. Something's wrong and I'm not carrying a jack to unhook everytime. If I wanted that, I've have bought an older plow.
YOu MUST BE ON LEVEL GROUND and the plow stand needs to be right if its set too high it wont unhich, if its set to low wont unhitch. YOu will need to use the floor jack everytime unless you are dropping it on perfectly level ground

Discussion starter · #66 ·
So...I need to carry a floor jack in the truck in case I have to unhook in the field ? That wasn't in the brochure either.

........................or just "invest" in some "free" 2x4 lumber scraps and put them down if you insist on dropping your plow in the back 40................... ;)

BeastMaster;1122189 said:
So...I need to carry a floor jack in the truck in case I have to unhook in the field ? That wasn't in the brochure either.
I hope, for your sake, that you're never caught in a serious survival type situation. If you are, you'd better pray there's a pack of 1st or 2nd year cub scouts nearby to bail you out.

Just sayin'..... :)

Discussion starter · #69 ·
I assure you all that I have nearly ALL the tools and know how to use them. Never hired a mechanic in my life until that last 2 years.

I'm at a point in my life where I am tired of working on stuff. I can finally afford to hire others to fix things for me. I can now afford to buy a little better equipment,,,,stuff that isn't supposed to need much of anything to make it work (8' Boss Super Duty). Thus,,,this entire thread. I have repaired my way out of situations in places most of you can't imagine. Recently, I "repaired" the 360 eng. from S.D. to IL. before it finally gave completely out.
I simply choose to not bust my knuckles anymore b/c I don't have to now days.

If you are out and about and need to unhook find a nice level piece of concrete to drop on although I cant see why you would want to just unhook somewhere other then where you will be storing the plow but I do see your point. Yes you will need to carry a Jack if you plan on unhooking somewhere else other than the plow's home location. Its not jsut your plow that has that issue, its ALL boss plows as far as I am aware of

BeastMaster;1122189 said:
Did it say anything about being a idiot and staying away from the product?

Discussion starter · #75 ·
Awfully mouthy for a Joysie boi. Come west twd. the big corn field and talk that **** gweebo gangsta wannabe.

BeastMaster;1123684 said:
Awfully mouthy for a Joysie boi. Come west twd. the big corn field and talk that **** gweebo gangsta wannabe.
I want to...but i got this new map for 12 bucks at a rest area, and its def screwed up. I cant read it and the U.S. is upside down. I want my money back, calling the rest area tomorrow

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.