Snow Plowing Forum banner

Running a GMC 3500HD dually with single rear wheels?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Herm Witte 
#1 ·
Hey Guys-

Wondering if I can run my 2012 GMC 3500HD DRW chassis cab with only single rear wheels for plowing (increased ground pressure with singles versus duals, and narrower footprint)? Will I damage anything? Spacers needed to run only one wheel per side on the studs?

Matt

#4 ·
peteo1;1901513 said:
It has dual wheels for a reason
Yes, I know- for weight distribution across 4 tires- but I'm not going to run it with a load of stone in the back (just with enough ballast to satisfy Western's recommendations).

#5 ·
Gm still making hd's
Your also forgetting the weight of the bed and whatever's on it

#6 ·
mkwl;1901408 said:
Hey Guys-

Wondering if I can run my 2012 GMC 3500HD DRW chassis cab with only single rear wheels for plowing (increased ground pressure with singles versus duals, and narrower footprint)? Will I damage anything? Spacers needed to run only one wheel per side on the studs?

Matt
I have always preferred a dually over single as the truck does not get pushed around by the snow nearly as quickly. Not to mention, if you get a flat tire with one of the duallies you just keep plowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.