Ruining angle cylinders

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Glenn81, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

Hi all I have a MM2 with the insta act pump. Last weekend I ruined both of my angle cylinders. One of them I split the outer tube on Friday night and the other I broke the tube right off on Sunday. Both times I caught some frozen snow with the corner of the blade. I don't feel that I was going to fast or any faster than usual. My question is, could there be anything causing this or just bad luck. Also I've had this plow for 10 years with no problems like this. one other question where would be the best place to get new ones from Fisher?

2. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

Was the plow straight? Full angle? When it happened?

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

It is possible that you have crossover relief valves that are not opening when they should , either because they are not adjusted properly or there is garbage in there.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That's a rare occurrence, and for both to fail in such a manner, in that sort of a period.... a thorough flush and inspection is in order.

theplowmeister likes this.
  5. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I second Jfon’s assessment. If you are breaking angle cylinders like that the crossover relief is not working properly.

6. OP
    OP
    Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

Yes the plow was angled both times when it happened. Sounds like you guys are correct with the cross over relief not working, that makes sense. Do these need to be replaced or just cleaned and flushed. I'm going to look for some information on how this comes apart. Thanks for your help.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have pics of this ?

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

The relief valve kits are not expensive. You probably got crap in the fluid when they failed. I would take the unit apart and give the insides a good cleaning. Check the angle plow stops for wear also.

Western1 likes this.
  9. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite Veteran
    from 406

In my opinion even a 10000psi hose should have blown regardless of any relief valve long before splitting a tube.

How fast isn’t to fast?
    Acmumative dammage and it finely let go?

Plow angled all the way, there wouldn’t be any travel left, as it would be agents the stop . It wouldn't have any travel left to push any fluid threw the relief.

Are these the stock rams?
    Is their slopp in the pivot?

Going to fast, flexed the plow, causing the ram to bend.
    Jmo

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

11. OP
    OP
    Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

Thank you RepoMan that diagram is great. My plow is very sloppy and worn out so that makes sense that it could also be my problem or maybe a combination of the two. Thanks everyone for your help

12. OP
    OP
    Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

13. Western1

from MI.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes...

15. Western1

from MI.

So was the plow angled to the side that the ram was damaged?

16. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite Veteran
    from 406

if it was pulled apart it certainly had nothing to do with the relief valve.

I want to know what hoses he’s running if it was caused by stuck relief valve .
    Because I want them for my plow.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Northeastern Landscape and Mudly like this.
  17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Was there water in this system. What are the temps where you are. Frozen water will do some amazing things to steel no matter how thick.

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I dont I wont the hose to fail before it damages the rams

19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think there is so much play in the plow the rams are being used to limit travel.

timboy and Hydromaster like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

I'm in NB Canada, it was cold about -15F. The cylinder that snapped off was out but wasn't full angle if I remember correctly. Also I think they are 5000 psi hoses but I'll double check to be sure.