Rubber Cutting edge Anybody use them

ktfbgb

PlowSite Veteran
How long are the cutting edges lasting? How thick are the cutting edges you use? I've never seen a rubber one used around me. Some of the guys that only do Residential's use the poly blades but not anyone that does commercial or roads. Most of our roads get chip sealed around here so they are very abrasive and the rubber and poly wouldn't hold up at all.

OP
Q

quigleysiding

PlowSite.com Addict
Lasting about 3 storms 35-45 hours . Using 5/8 x 6
3/4 x 6 if I can find them . Most places around here only have the 5/8 . We double them up when I can afford it . Put the front one on first then a new one over that .
They started using the chips on our roads a few years back too . Gets expensive changing them all the time plus the labor . Had a carbide blade on my 9 foot lasted a while but still had to put a edge over it so that got expensive too . Bought a cheep 1/2 inch one a few years back only lasted one storm

ktfbgb

PlowSite Veteran
Damn that seems too fast. Usually last at least a season. If the city plows are using the rubber ones then maybe they will hold up. I just haven't seen them used here. I have not done roads until this year. I picked up a couple private roads this year that equal about 6 lane miles so I'm interested now in what others say about the different cutting edges for roads.

leolkfrm

PlowSite Veteran
city uses them here, they dont scrape as well so more salt is needed

town is running shoes with hardened bottoms
pro tec rubber wears well but the shoes help that
you need better grade of steel, check with local fab shops and see if they can punch out a better one for you

Thanks for the reply Where do you buy yours from . Ive only seen the 1 1/2 ones .
They are 1.5''. LOL I had a plow in my drive that I was to busy or lazy to run down to the shop. Keep your cutting edge bolts lubed up. It's a PITA if you have to cut and replace them when you want to slide it down. Don't matter when you flip. You have to take it apart anyways. Just have to loosen a little to slide down.

Top Forums