Snow Plowing Forum banner

rotor removal

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  wyldman 
#1 ·
I need to replace the rotor on my 93 3/4 ton and can't remember how to do it I have the caliper and that big nut removed from the center of the wheel. I just pull it off with a 3 jaw puller right?

#3 ·
You shouldn't need a puller to get the hub off the spindle. Under the locknut there should be a washer of some type and then another nut, a preload nut. Make sure these are both removed and then the hub assembly should come off by rotating and pulling by hand.

If you need the puller, something's wrong and you'll probably cause damage.

#4 ·
No puller is needed.

Remove the wheel and caliper,and unplug the ABS sensor if equipped.Remove the CV shaft nut.Remove the 4 bolts from the backside of the knuckle.Thread the bolts back in a few turns,and gently hammer on them to push the hub out of the knuckle.

If you have ABS,unbolt the sensor while they are off,and file down the rust buildup underneath.It will cause ABS problems in the future.Add some grease under the sensor to slow future corrosion.

#7 ·
calipers are ok the rotors are shot the passenger side one collapsed last summer and i did not have time to change both on that day and now the drivers side has gotten real bad. Never seen this happen before.Must be fron the road salt from plowing

#8 ·
Hey all fixed Thanks I went By Chris's way by pulling the bolts out and threaded them in a little and hit it w/ a hammer. Now I have another Q my brake light keeps flashing, New brakes all the way arround no fluid leaks and the brakes work very well. I have no anti-lock either and the e-brake petal is up any ideas?

#9 ·
You should have at least rear antilock brakes.It uses a Kelsey Hayes ZPRWAL,or zero pressure rear wheel antilock.

Usually when the just the brake light flashes,it means there is a problem with the speed sensor signal input.It should be flashing nine times,correct ?

Best way to start is to pull the ABS codes.Turn key on,and ground terminal "H" on the ALDL connector under the drivers side dash,or jumper it to terminal "A",which is also a ground.It will now flash the codes.Write them all down,and report back.Also after you pull the codes,measure the voltage between teminals "A" and "H" and let me know what you find.

Also check the basics,like do the brake lights work ? Check fuses for GAGES,STOP,ECM-IGN and BRAKE.

#11 ·
That would be a code 3,or open dump solenoid.Hopefully it was just an intermittant thing,and won't come back.If it starts flashing again,then check the codes again,and let me know and we can procede further through the diagnostics.

It wouldn't hurt to check and clean the connector on the antilock brake valve,just below the master.

#13 ·
Flow chart for brake light on,says to disconnect the parking brake switch (1 wire) to see if light goes out.If it does not,then pull codes.Check for codes,and all fuses I mentioned earlier.Also verify all brake lamps acutally work.

Post back any codes,and we'll work through it from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.