Snow Plowing Forum banner

Rookie rates

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  UHLGS 
#1 ·
Perhaps you fellas can give me a little help on this one. A buddy of mine recently had a plow put on his truck and I agreed to throw him some work. He's plowed very little if at all before(he's been my spotter before, so he does have a good idea what's up), will be running under my insurance coverage and using my materials to handle some of my larger lots. What would be a fair hourly rate to pay a rookie? In fact, how about a poll to see where we are these days on our sub rates and what do the subs in here need to make to be happy?

#4 ·
My company used to pay one employee 50 an hour bc he used his own truck. He had like 10 years experience though. i dunno start low and see where he bites!

#5 ·
I know of subs in our area that are insured that work for 75-90 for an avg 3/4 ton with 7.5-8.5 plow blade.

if he has his own truck/plow to use and maintain, but is using your insurance, i would offer him a portion of that.

figure an avg. labor rate and some to maintain his truck. But obviously keep in mind that your flipping the insurance bill. I would think around 50-65/hr.

#8 ·
Originally posted by rockcrusher4x4
I am moving to where you guys live in my area you get 35.00 to 40.00 thats using your own truck and 7.5 - 8 foot plow and your own insurance. Just don't seem right but the plow rates around here for the ones that use them are 45 - 55 an hr per truck.
Joe
Joe, where are you moving too? Would you explain the hourly rate, I'm having a hard time understanding the rate differences

#9 ·
Ken
When you sub the avg, pay is 35 - 40 hr using your own truck and insurance.
The avg, hourly rate to charge the customer is 45 - 55 hr per truck for plowing.
The reason I said I was moving is the pay rate for subs in the PA area (75/95hr) is so much higher then my area,
Joe

#12 ·
Here on Long Island, if you just drive (someone elses truck & Plow) you get $15-20 hr. If you own your own truck and plow and pay your own insurance and are subcontracting your services to another contractoir, you usually get $45-65 hr. Either way, the customer still gets billed about $100 hr.
It all is based by the supply and demand in your area and what the market will bare. I personnaly would think that $40-45 hr for an inexperienced plower would be fair if he is using his equipment and paying his own insurance, maybe as high as $50, only because we all know that insurance and repairs can be expensive.

#14 ·
I wish I could bill my customers $100.00 an hour, but I don't think I would be in business very long. The highest I have seen here is 60 an hr to the customer, except for loaders and such those are around 100 an hr. I pay my subs 35 first year or two, they provide the insurance.
Joe

#15 ·
rockcrusher ... Like I said, it is supply and demand and what the market will bare. Every part of the country is different, gas prices, home values, insurance rates, rents, etc. What may be a fair price in one area will either be too expensive, too cheap, or close to on the money in another. Charge whatever you need in order to cover your overhead, repairs, insurance, etc., and still make whatever profit margin you are comfortable with.

#16 ·
KenP
I'm not sure I understand how your friend can be a sub & run under your insurance in his truck. In the eyes of the IRS folks, doesn't he have to have his own insurance to be a true "sub". I guess you've cleared the liability angles thriugh your insurance agent? Happy plowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.