Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the plow all working, Truck running good, and fixed a bad lift pump that was causing a air issue a few weeks back. Yet another trial of patience heading my way.

Filled the tank a couple weeks back, and truck sat for a while, as I had the plow on it, and I try not to tool around with the plow on unless necessary. Took the plow off, and pulled out of the driveway, parked it in the street. Found a puddle of diesel under the truck, and it's coming from the top of the fuel tank.

Get the truck cleaned up, pulled the muffler to be able to see in there, and found that the return line where it connects to the fuel tank sending unit is leaking... or so it appears. Start the truck, no leak. let it sit and idle for 5 minutes, and it starts to piss out the top of the tank right where the return line is connected. Either the return line O ring gave up it's ghost, or the connector on the fuel tank sending unit has a crack in the plastic bung thing. where the return line meets it.

If the suction line was cracked, I would assume I'd have air in the line to the lift pump, and the truck would die out, as these diesels stop once they get any air up in the injector lines, or at least what I've seen.

So... I can pump the 27 gallons out, drop the tank, look for the leak, I can try removing the line from the tank, by trying to sqeeze my fat ass up and around the frame up against the bed side and running board (which I can't physically do), or I can cut an access panel in the bed, which would allow me to quickly ascertain where it's leaking from (could watch it while the truck was running/ idling) and instantly know whether it's a cracked plastic connector, or the o ring has failed where the two fuel lines (suction and return), meet the connector.

What's the odds of a wizzer wheel sparking the diesel fuel sitting all over the top of the tank and sparking it into a fun blaze ?

Anyone ever used a metal cutting wheel above a diesel tank leak ? Supposedly, I've been told that diesel isn't easy to ignite, but I was wondering if you guys had any personal experience in this.

Cutting the bed is a no brainer for me, cause I could care less about the bed as it's pretty old and full of bondo from the P.O.. I'll weld tabs around the perimeter of the removed metal access plate, drill some holes, and screw it back down in the bed, leaving it for future access, need be.

Thanks

Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Auto part

· Registered
130 Posts
Difficult to do by yourself, without a shop to work in, or an overhead crane to strap it off. Speed is an issue if we really do have snow heading this way tomorrow night.
Soak some shop rags with water and place them on top of the tank and start whizzing. I've done this a few times and have never had a problem.

· Registered
17,157 Posts
Have a fire extinguisher at hand. Give it a rinse with some water if you want. Cut away. I use the torch and cut the tops out of the diesel fuel tanks I replace, have to now to scrap them. I've had a few ignite, but not many. But then the wife keeps saying, I'm not to bright.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It appears to be cracked on the return tube inlet. Definitely leaking there. Maybe it's the oring in the tube. Gotta try removing the orings, but I'm pretty sure its coming through that crack.

Called Carter. They said not available. Supposedly 96 and 97 will fit, but the sending unit connector is wrong

Wood Automotive tire Font Recipe Ingredient

Bag Audio equipment Motor vehicle Font Art

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.