• SnowCare For Troops Expands To Include Healthcare Workers
    Project EverGreen expands its SnowCare for Troops program to help healthcare professionals. Volunteers from the snow and landscape industries can provide snow and ice removal services to nominated healthcare heroes. Click here to read more.

Residential snow removal

Hinckley Hills Services

Hello,

I have a few questions on residential snow removal. I have a older 6x4 gator that I use to do a few jobs in a subdivision nearby my house. Question I do live in NE Ohio and we get 50-65 inches a year. The driveways I do are about a 100 feet long by one and half to two cars wide. Last year I charged 20-25 to just do the driveway and ways without salt.

So what do y'all think I should be charging or what is the going rate around me? They only take about 10 minutes to do. I can do them faster with a gator than a truck.

I was thinking to charge 20 a time or 360 a season..
I'm not really looking to make huge money only do 5 to 10 a year.

OP
H

Hinckley Hills Services

Yeah about 20 minutes from me. Hinckley is a nice area but country. Only subdivision near me. If you think I can get move per time that I will bump up my price.... What do you think the going rate is near me for seasonal? This is a subdivision I do a bit of mowing and landscaping in and would like to get more clients... Maybe go in a bit cheap on the plowing and then go for getting them into a mowing contact??? Let me know what you think.

cwren2472

PlowSite Fanatic
This is a subdivision I do a bit of mowing and landscaping in and would like to get more clients... Maybe go in a bit cheap on the plowing and then go for getting them into a mowing contact??? Let me know what you think.
I think that the kind of people that go with you only if you are plowing at a loss are unlikely to pay a premium on mowing later. They will just go with whoever is the lowest bidder on mowing too.

OP
H

Hinckley Hills Services

Alright... Sounds like I'm not charging enough. So can you guys give me some numbers on per time and seasonal. Also if someone near me could give me a good idea of the normal number of events per year.

OP
H

Hinckley Hills Services

Out my way the minimum is 45/per. If it’s a subdivision the “discount” is 40/per if 5 or more sign up back to back.
Here it's $35 per with 2" trigger for a 500sqft driveway, 20' of 36" walk, no salt and takes 5-7min.
Thanks for the reply....
I will put out some flyers and see what kind of response I get...
Seeing as this is my second year do you guys have any tips on how to pick up new customers or things to look out for when signing people up or plowing?

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Thanks for the reply....
I will put out some flyers and see what kind of response I get...
Seeing as this is my second year do you guys have any tips on how to pick up new customers or things to look out for when signing people up or plowing?
Referrals is the best way. Does this subdivision have a HOA you can contact to see about attending a meeting to introduce yourself at?

OP
H

Hinckley Hills Services

Yeah they do but with covid-19 I doubt they have any meetings... Good idea though.

Maybe I will ask a few of my current customers who the leader of the HOA and see if I can't get a few referrals though them.

Chineau

maybe silly question do you have decals or advertising on your equipment?
Phone number and email contact?
jackets advertise who you are?
Block heater/toque?
when the white gold flies people look out the window when they hear clean up, make it easy for them to call you.

OP
H

Hinckley Hills Services

I don't have decals... But I was thinking to get some signs made to put in the bed of my gator. Kinda like a billboard but a lot smaller.
maybe silly question do you have decals or advertising on your equipment?
Phone number and email contact?
jackets advertise who you are?
Block heater/toque?
when the white gold flies people look out the window when they hear clean up, make it easy for them to call you.
I do know a lot of people in that subdivision that I mainly do so I am planning on sending out so emails to my landscaping customers and am hoping to get some jobs.