Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
If you can get a group of residential driveways together its great (two passes and your off to the next).My major problem was i had my driveway accounts scattered apart and the drive time killed me.Now i have the driveways all in one general area i have a group of 7 within 2 mins of each other.Commercial accounts can be great money but also if its a big storm they can be very hard on the plow vehicles.I was basing my opinion on my area, its hard to get more then 30 dollars a driveway here nobody wants to pay and if they do they expect all the sidewalks cleared and the front steps cleared.I even had one lady that was mad because i wouldn't brush off her car after i plowed.

Commercial or not (depending on when the storm ends) i always try to get them plowed out either before they have to leave for work in the am or have them plowed out so they can get back in the evening.

I do both commercial and residential, it isn't hard to explain to the res customer that commercial gets priority so that employees and customers can access the property safely after which residential props are started. After my explaination I ask them what their expectationas are, some would like to have the work done immediately after commercials (slightly higher price for slightly higher expectations) and quite a few are satisfied with later morning early afternoon, I document their desires have them sign it and make darn sure that it gets done the way they want it done. Anyone with high expectations in an area some distance away is suggested to call someone else. You can't do everyone's driveway :mad: .

Good thread -

Well speaking from experience I have the following coments:

- Plowing commercial vs residential: If its a plow only commercial account= you should be able to double your revenue if you plow residentials only.

- The key to residentials is to get paid no matter what - i.e. no snow, you still get paid.

- Route grouping is also important - if you start running over 7 minutes a driveway, including drive time, your wasting time and money.

In my neck of the woods, customers pay to get their driveway done, on time. On time means, what ever time you specify in your contract. Mine states they will be plowed by 6:30AM, if all variables fall into place. I do however, know of several plowing contractors in my area that state they will plow all residentials after their commercail work. Roughly for the same amount of money.

The difference between the two is only time : the expectations the customer has for the service are basically the same after that. The only way this hurts commercial contractors who plow residentials as well; is when the residential customer needs or requests to be plowed at a specified time!

Chuck B.

We have a mix of residentials and commercials. I always tell the residentials that we'll get to them as soon as we can, but if they have a reason to get out early, we'll make sure they are clear before their appointments. Most of our residentials are elderly, and not in a hurry to get out unless they have a doctor's appointment or if someone is coming to pick them up to go shopping. If our residential has a job to get to, we make sure they are clear in time to get to work.

In my opinion, it's silly to give your residentials poor service, these are the customers that will stay with you. Commercials will usually leave you for the lowest bidder.

Most important, keep up good comunication with your customers to see what they expect of you. Most residentials are very understanding about the fact that you have more than one account to plow each day.

Res is good mony i have bth comm and res. 40 res on my street alone( back out and plow the street. take me 3min a drive way. I have another 11 on another street. It's how you keep your res and your route tight. my whole rt is 10 miles. been doing this for seven years never tke anything thats going to mke me drive off my route will trade with other guys to keep in my territory. I do my comm in between my res. works well for me. (even in our usuall lake effect storms here in buffalo. Like the 8ft the one year was out forn three days straight I just kept running wth the storm and plowed small amounts so I wasnt killing my equipment. But never say there is no money in res, because there is and if your good you will always have that repete business and word of mouth for there neighbors.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.