Residential plow, buy now before winter for best pricing?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 4x4pwr, Jun 20, 2020.

1. 4x4pwr

4x4pwr Junior Member

I have a 2001 F250 V10. Truck has new engine/trans etc and is ready to work. It's a short bed and I have owned it for 9 years now. It has pretty much sat the last year as I don't use it anymore. I just bought a home on 2 acres, the driveway is 300' long and about 14' wide. What is the most cost effective plow for simply moving snow from my drive to the back of my property? I plan to clear some of the land this year for a shop and want most of my $$ to go towards that. Most dealers here wont install older plow setups as they want you to purchase their new units as a complete kit. Just looking for the time of year and model to purchase. Never owned a truck plow before, only ever had a plow on ATVs and UTVs.

I chose Western because I see a lot of the commercial guys use that brand here in Alaska.

Thanks!

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

You'll certainly get a better price now than you will in December, not to mention that right now you'll have your pick of any model rather than what the dealer has left in the winter.

Best way to "get a deal" is to call dealers and see if they have any stock left over from last season since now is the time when the dealers will be receiving next seasons new inventory.

Contrary to what you might expect, it can be difficult to save money on a used plow unless you are well acquainted with plow models, used values, and what it will cost you for the vehicle specific pieces since spending $2000+ is not unheard of just in vehicle side pieces alone installed.

EWSplow likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    4x4pwr

4x4pwr Junior Member

Thanks, I called a few years back and I think I was quoted around $6000 installed for a new plow. Sound about right? Residential plow.

4. OP
    OP
    4x4pwr

4x4pwr Junior Member

Found a dealer open today.... Here is what I was quoted.

midweight $5900 + 750 install = $6650
    pro plus $6750 + 750 install = $7500

5. cwren2472

I have no idea of that is good pricing or not - pricing is very regional and depends heavily on factors like local demand and local competition. Being as you say you are in Alaska, something like 4,000 miles from the Western factory, pricing there is going to be pretty much 100% unrelated to pricing you'll hear someone in Michigan tell you they were quoted for the same plow.

So you can really only compare local dealer A's price for a specific plow to local dealer B's price for that same plow

6. OP
    OP
    4x4pwr

4x4pwr Junior Member

Thanks will do. Found this plow with everything, I would need a different mount for my truck, but those are usually only $350-$500 right? I wasn't expecting a plow to cost that much... I could sell my truck and find a used truck with a plow easily if a plow is going to cost $7500.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2524978294421648/

7. cwren2472

Definitely on the higher end and I'd call a dealer to confirm

Seems expensive for that plow used but everything I said about new pricing applies to used as well.

After your mount and install, you are going to be upwards of 80% of the price of new. If every penny counts, perhaps it's a viable option and worth it for you, but it wont take many repairs for your "savings" to evaporate

8. OP
    OP
    4x4pwr

4x4pwr Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will call around locally and see about new plow pricing and different brand plow options.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you want to move snow from one place to another better get a V plow or wideout.

10. sota

sota PlowSite.com Addict

There's also the aspect of dealer support and factory warranty, when you buy new.
    Again, this is all regional, but I know shops around here are more likely to help you get fixed quicker if you bought from them.

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

I wish you were closer, I have the same truck, it has a unimount, with a conversion kit. I'd make you a heck of a deal

12. Fourteen Contracting Inc.

Fourteen Contracting Inc. Senior Member

I know this doesn't help the op much and I'm not just saying this because I'm a plow contractor, but have you gotten a quote from a local reputable company to provide the service? How does it compare to what you'd be spending on the plow / truck / maintenance/ insurance per year?