1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Replacing engine on 98 k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mdchest, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. mdchest

    mdchest Junior Member
    Messages: 24

    Hi, I want to replace the 4.3l v6 engine that i have in my 98 k1500, although there is nothing wrong with this engine. Is there any place out there that would give me credit for the engine I have now towards a bigger size engine. I am not really sure where to look to do this. Thanks
  2. JMR

    JMR Senior Member
    Messages: 567

    How about finding a low mileage 5.7 V8 from a reputable salvage yard. Then sell your V-6. Bracketing and everything should transfer. I believe you will need the shorter V8 fan shroud. The used engine should come with exhaust manifolds. You may want to switch to the V8 radiator(larger).
  3. yzf1000_rider

    yzf1000_rider Senior Member
    Messages: 147

    city motor supply in dallas texas works with people that are doing changes in there motors from v-6 to v-8 they might be able to help you out they have a toll free number just call information and they will give it to you they will ship right to your front door. good luck.
  4. RAZOR

    RAZOR Senior Member
    Messages: 343

    I have a 94 K1500 and replaced the original 305 with a 350. The only thing that I had to change was the prom (computer chip), I think it was about $100. You might have to add this to the cost of the conversion.
  5. lawnmedic

    lawnmedic Senior Member
    Messages: 703

    You will need a complete electrical harness to put a V8 in. Best bet is to find a totaled one at a junk yard and park them side by side... A lot of work, I'd sell it and get one already set up...Chuck
  6. TLS

    TLS PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,425

    How about just sell the whole truck and buy a new one. It's really your only smart option here.

    I really doubt that it's emissions legal once you swap anyway.

    This isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. There are a LOT of differences between a V-6 truck and a V-8 truck. Sure it'll drop in and bolt up, but the computer controlled parts are going to freak out!

    Here are a few things you'd need.

    Accessory brackets
    Fan shroud
    Oil cooler lines
    Torque Converter
    Front springs
    Inspection mechanic on your side.
  7. ratlover

    ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL
    Messages: 1,325

    a bigblock will drop in fine.....but you gota get all the electronics. You could go carbed or go with a older TBI injection motor but then little things like your gauges will get pissy.

    Oh yeah.....the man dont like the idea of dropping something else in there and you will have some hurdles there. Depending on what you have for inspections.

    Personally if you just got a nice driver you want to mildly beef up and all that I would look for a a state that dosnt do inspections and get it plated there and drop a carbed bigblock in there cuz speedometers, odometers, and emmsions are for weenies. See guys......I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :rolleyes: :D
  8. porkhead1

    porkhead1 Member
    Messages: 70

    ....or look for a 98 1500 4x4 w/ a V8 ( with rear end damage) from a salvage yard to use as a "parts" truck. But , more practically (less work & possibly cheaper in the long run) just get another truck.